This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poweruser switching to Kubuntu

I don't want to gloat but I am a "poweruser" I am an ex-fedora developer, pclinuxos contributer, and I work daily with Suse enterprise linux. The reason I point this is out is often times in communities Ubuntu and its variants are often considered the "noob" distro to those new users don't pay attention to this, after leaving Fedora, running arch then opensuse I have come to really appreciate Ubuntu and its variants. As a developer I don't have time to fiddle about making sure a rolling release doesn't break my system, and I also don't have time compiling everything from source. I am extremely happy with the release system that Ubuntu follows, using a LTS edition with updates being included to keep the distro "bleeding edge" I think this is the best method to compete with commercial software and have recently had two people switch to ubuntu. To those involved thanks, and I will be joining as a documentor and developer soon. Great job guys.

Re: Poweruser switching to Kubuntu

I read some figures saying that Ubuntu has actually had more success with attracting existing Linux users than recruiting Windows/Mac converts. Guess they just don't bitch and whine about everything, so you don't get to hear them.

Comment

I can see why the statistics would say that. To me Ubuntu and its variants are the biggest competitor to Mac/Windows. The reason is that it is usable, it is literally a drag and drop replacement os for a desktop system, and even though the internals of the linux kernel are a powerusers forte, the desktop is well polished and the system well defined and easy to use. My younger brother left windows and put off buying a macbook after I gave him a liveusb of Ubuntu, and an older gentle man where I work, who the last time he has even touched a Unix system was when he worked for Xerox is having me install it on his laptop.

Comment

Welcome to KFN, escapingsummer! You'll enjoy this forum and the very tolerant community. BTW, it doesn't sound like "gloat" to me, it reads like a resume. 8)

I am using Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) LTS, which is very well polished and I've activated every feature that Dolphin has. It will be supported until April 2013. (When I have to use a WinXP or Win7 box I feel like I've had handcuffs put on me, although Win7 is the best OS Microsoft has released.)

However, I did the "Developer Tools" documentation for Kubuntu 11.04 and after it was released I downloaded and burned a LiveUSB of the 64bit release and ran it on this Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E. Natty ran SO GOOD on this box that I am sorely tempted to break the promise to myself to use only the LTS release and install Natty. During the couple hours I used it and checked out YouTube, various browsers, the desktop, etc., Natty is, even running from a USB port, an extremely fast OS, and very stable.

I never used Fedora, but I used RH and SuSE servers and a PCLOS workstation at work before I retired. My first Linux distro was RH 5.0 in 1998, but I switched to SuSE in Sept of 1998 because it featured the beta of KDE 1.0. I have remained with KDE every since. I ran PCLinuxOS for two years, between 2007 and 2009, and bracketed PCLOS with Mandrake and Mandriva. I moved from Mandriva 2009 PWP to Kubuntu 9.04 in Feb of 2009. I will probably stay with Kubuntu until my internal parity bits fail their checksum. During the last five years of work, before I retired 3 years ago, I used the Qt4 API to write in-house apps running on Windows workstations by developing the app in Linux and compiling the executable on Windows.

Welcome aboard!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The first Linux I encountered was SUSE back in 95. It was installed on a few workstations and I always prefered it to Windows 95. Then my fathers laptop ran RH but was eventually replaced by a windows machine in 98. I have run RHEL/Fedora since, and my first encounter with Kubuntu was almost 5 years ago...I tried it out but it wasn't too stable then. However after getting annoyed with redhat egos I began looking for a new home. Like I said I want a system that works and ubuntu is it.

Comment

Working...
          X