This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Job!

I'm definitely a KDE purist Ubuntu GNOME felt... lacking. It was uninteresting to me and I honestly couldn't work as fast as with KDE. I like the non-intrusive Present Windows (the same as Mac's Exposé) that I can activate by pushing the mouse into the upper-left corner (Compiz has it too, but to activate it you put the mouse in the corner and wait a set amount of time, which is annoying because I can activate really easily on accident.)

Something just didn't feel right either... I don't know how to explain it. Like, I missed KDE. My first experience with Linux was Linux Mint 7 KDE and I thought KDE was AMAZING and GNOME seemed ugly.

Comment

"In 1996, the KDE project was started, followed a year later by GNOME, and the world of UNIX desktops changed for ever. It was quite surprising back then because neither KDE nor GNOME was a commercial project. Both started as open source, and both shared the same goal: to make Linux the best desktop operating system. But the philosophy was different. The KDE project wasn’t concerned with open source idealism – which is why GNOME was born, to create a desktop environment with fully GPLed software. This philosophical disagreement led to two completely different and innovative desktop environments for Linux."

"...GNOME was born, to create a desktop environment with fully GPLed software." Interesting, given Cananical's embrase of MONO (get your attention GG?).
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think the reason i like Linux Mint 10 main edition (ubuntu based version) so much, Snowhog, is because it is kind of a "hybrid" of gnome and kde

The only one panel and on the bottom (just like kde)...the KDE style menu (only actually made even better and also very attractive) and Clem's "Mint X-Theme" which is the default appearance and gives it that metal kde look....He even made the File Manager look more attractive as well...That is why Mint main and Kubuntu are my all time favorite distros...

Oh and hello to tdockery97...i know him well from the mint forum....

Comment

Unity is freaking awesome.

Snowhog, you can try out Gnome 3 on Ubuntu Natty via PPA, but if you do upgrade the Gnome packages, you will loose Unity, because it's been ported to Gnome 2.32. A native Gnome Shell that can be interchanged with Unity will only be available in Oneiric.

Comment

el_koraco@

Yes, I'm aware that I can add the PPA, but I'd rather wait until Gnome 3 is officially released as either a DE upgrade, or in a full OS Release Upgrade. Until then, I'll happily live with the default Gnome desktop.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by craig10x
              I think the reason i like Linux Mint 10 main edition (ubuntu based version) so much, Snowhog, is because it is kind of a "hybrid" of gnome and kde

The only one panel and on the bottom (just like kde)...the KDE style menu (only actually made even better and also very attractive) and Clem's "Mint X-Theme" which is the default appearance and gives it that metal kde look....He even made the File Manager look more attractive as well...That is why Mint main and Kubuntu are my all time favorite distros...

Oh and hello to tdockery97...i know him well from the mint forum....

I can see that. I would say Mint Main is sort of a cross between Ubuntu Gnome and KDE. I've tried Ubuntu Gnome and it's too plain for me. Kubuntu rocks!
              Kubuntu 20.04
              HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

agree tdockery97
                when i looked at the final release cd of Kubuntu 11.04 i was awfully tempted to install...it's the nicest KDE i ever tried...If my Mint 10 Main Edition wasn't running so super smooth i'd probably switch...I know, i could dual boot but i always like to run just 1 system on my home laptop (which is my desktop)...

But if Mint disappeared, Kubuntu would be the way i would go...definately not Ubuntu anymore since i am not fond of Unity...
                I do like the forum here very much...and of course the mint forum...

Comment

Like I metioned earlier, I believe Unity is going to be a thing of the past until Ubuntu fully adopts GNOME 3. (Or until they put a LOT more effort into Unity.) Linux Mint is definitely my favorite alternative to (K)Ubuntu Lot's of desktops, fairly good community, and it was the first Linux I ever used! I started with Linux Mint 7 KDE. Horrible horrible experience but freaking awesome at the same time. It was horrible because it was the early KDE 4 desktop and it crashed/locked up all the time without warning. Definitely not useable as a full time OS. But I gained a lot of experience and knowledge by attempting to fix all the problems as they came up and trying to customize everything. Then after about 5 months, Linux Mint 8 KDE came out, and I was in love. I erased Windows and dedicated the whole HDD to it. It was stable, ran smoothly (KDE was still kinda sketchy performance wise though) and it could do everything I needed it too. I stuck with it up until 10 KDE, in which case I got lost... I gave up on KDE. For whatever reason, KDE 4.5 and newer didn't work right on this comp. It ALWAYS broke in the same way (and I tried it on Kubuntu, Linux Mint, OpenSuse, PCLinuxOS, etc..) and I couldn't stand it anymore. Honestly it hurt to go back to Windows *shudders*. Then, finally, Kubuntu 11.04 Beta 2 was released and was like, "what the hell" and I downloaded and installed it. I was freaking impressed. It worked, even the beta was way stable and fast. And KDE hasn't broken on me yet. I've had it installed since Beta 2 and my love for KDE has flourished

*nerdgasm

Comment

Working...
                  X