This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Partitioning issue when trying to install

great..... pleas STOP doing what your doing NOW befor you mess it up....... and you will if you persist without knowing what to do and how to do it

I half to finish doing something thin I will post back with some beter ideas for you

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well that's what I'm doing. Mint crashed (and so did the installer, officially) so I'm using Windows now.

Comment

ok first is this a desktop or laptop and do you have 1 HD or 2 ?

if 2 use the second one for the install.

I will assume you are running UNetbootin from in windows ........so fire up UNetbootin and make 2 live USB's 1 with the linuxOS you want to install and 1 Gparted or parted magick or DL the ISO's and burn to cd with windows-7 ISO burner.

when you have these made and if you only have the 1 HD use the windows tools to chkdsk and defrag then chkdsk agin the drive (go to my computer rite click the drive click propertys and then the tools tab chkdsk is the one called error checking)

now use the windows disk utility to shrink the OS C: partition for the linux install (control panel >system and security >create and format hard disk partitions) you will nead 8-10Gig's minimum for a useful install more if you have room.

keep in mind the partition you are shrinking will nead MORE free space than what you are trying to get befor you start the chkdsk dfrag chkdsk stuff and this is VERY important as windows will scatter files all over a drive and they must be moved to the front of the partition before you try to shrink it.

when you get this far let us know and we will proced from hear

if 2 HD's go a head and make the live USB's or cd's and then post back that your ready to proceed.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I usually have better luck with using the usb-creator application for burning Ubuntu flash drives, sometimes unetbootin doesn't work so well, but it usually does. There is a copy on the cd image. I think in windows, you have to copy the exe to the same folder as the iso, not sure though. usb-creator can also create a 'persistence' file so that it can save your settings, etc in the live session

Originally posted by Island Monkey
          No, I am booting UNetbootin from the HDD and trying to install it permanently to the HDD.
          I am not clear on this - you burned the image to a hard drive partition? Or to a usb flash drive?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download - at the bottom there are instructions on how to burn the flash drive using usb-creator.

Comment

Working...
          X