X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't upgrade

hi There,

I've been trying to upgrade but when i do an apt-get update, then upgrade or dist-upgrade nothing gets installed. Also tried a sudo do-release-upgrade but only got Checking for a new ubuntu release No new release found. What's going on here?
    Thank you!
    Ron
    roN

http://www.inetgate.biz

Re: can't upgrade

Assuming you are wanting to upgrade to 11.04? Are you at 10.10 now? If yes to both, then check that you have Show new distribution releases: set to Normal Releases in Software Sources.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Assuming you are wanting to upgrade to 11.04? Are you at 10.10 now? If yes to both, then check that you have Show new distribution releases: set to Normal Releases in Software Sources.
      Okay, I changed this, it was set to the long term ones only. Ok, I went into Software updates and get a The latest stable release is Maverick 10.10 So I guess I only answer the first question with yes, the second one would be a no. Do I need to update to 10.10 before i can go to 11.04?
      Thanks for your help!
      Ron
      roN

Comment

If you are not running 10.10, then the best upgrade path is to upgrade to 10.10 completely, and then upgrade to 11.04. Doing this is not guaranteed to be without issues. For some, it works fine. For others, not so good.

One of the issues you might end up having to deal with, is KDE 4.6.x. Currently, 11.04 is using KDE 4.6.4, and it is very stable. You are likely using KDE 4.5.x. If you follow this upgrade path, it is recommended that you also upgrade KDE to the latest version once you are at 10.10.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          If you are not running 10.10, then the best upgrade path is to upgrade to 10.10 completely, and then upgrade to 11.04. Doing this is not guaranteed to be without issues. For some, it works fine. For others, not so good.

One of the issues you might end up having to deal with, is KDE 4.6.x. Currently, 11.04 is using KDE 4.6.4, and it is very stable. You are likely using KDE 4.5.x. If you follow this upgrade path, it is recommended that you also upgrade KDE to the latest version once you are at 10.10.
          Okay, I heard and experienced before that KDE upgrades go better with a shutdown xserver. But sudo do-release-upgrade doesn't install anything. Why not? How do I get my dist upgraded from the console? (yes I did the update thingy)
          Thanks,
          roN

Comment

anyone
            roN

Comment

have you tried sudo do-release-upgrade -p? This allows you to use the upgrader from the release you want ot upgrade to (in this case, 10.10) to take care of the upgrading.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
                have you tried sudo do-release-upgrade -p? This allows you to use the upgrader from the release you want ot upgrade to (in this case, 10.10) to take care of the upgrading.
                Alright,

that let me succesfully update to 10.10. I rebooted the system and everythink seemed to work fine so I went ahead and updated to 11.04 -> reboot
                and the boot hangs on stopping system v runlevel compatibility ok, i restarted into recovery mode and did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade thebut no more packages are being installed, i don't get the system booted anymore, it keeps hanging at stopping system v runlevel compatibility. Why is this? How can I get my system back?

Thank you!
                Ron
                roN

Comment

My google-fu only turned up this: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7538.0

It sounds like it is gagging when switching to X. You might try renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then try starting it with no file of that name present on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    My google-fu only turned up this: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7538.0

It sounds like it is gagging when switching to X. You might try renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then try starting it with no file of that name present on the system.
                    Okay, there was no xorg.conf only a whole bunch of backups. I took xorg.conf.failsafe and copied it to xorg.conf, did a startx and instead of starting KDE, I just got ointo a full screen console mode in graphics mode but it wouldn't let me type anything...
                    roN

Comment

I'm having trouble updating my girlfriend's Dell box, currently at 9.something. When I download the Live or Alternate CDs and try to boot with them, I get errors; I can't even boot with a known-good CD of GPartEd, I get an error "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive available".

I've tried updating through KPackageKit but there are blocked updates. I tried using sudo apt-get update but it doesn't work, and aptitude just tells me the same info in a different format.

What should I try next?

Thanks!

- ced
                      Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Originally posted by cdupree
                        I'm having trouble updating my girlfriend's Dell box, currently at 9.something. When I download the Live or Alternate CDs and try to boot with them, I get errors; I can't even boot with a known-good CD of GPartEd, I get an error "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive available".

I've tried updating through KPackageKit but there are blocked updates. I tried using sudo apt-get update but it doesn't work, and aptitude just tells me the same info in a different format.

What should I try next?

Thanks!

- ced
                        try
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                        roN

Comment

I tried sudo apt-get update but it ends with a bunch of errors. Apparently it fails to connect to something. Could this mean a mistake in the sources list or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by cdupree
                            I tried sudo apt-get update but it ends with a bunch of errors. Apparently it fails to connect to something. Could this mean a mistake in the sources list or something like that?
                            It means the computer is running a version of Kubuntu that's no longer supported. You might try the long path of upgrading from 9x to maybe another 9x, then to 10.04, 10.10, and finally 11.04, but in your case, I'd just do a reinstall. As for not being able to run a Live CD, it might be a problem with your burning speed, the fact that you're trying to burn CD-RW's, maybe the CD's themselves are damaged, or your CD drive is.

Can you make a Live USB?
                            "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I currently have stuff on the available USB sticks so will have to get another before trying that route, but I appreciate the pointers!

Comment

Working...
                              X