X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Try Kubuntu / install kubuntu" Spash, start screen

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    IF you install Kubuntu on the USB drive (including grub) as you have been advised, there won't be a "try Kubuntu" splash screen.
    "install Kubuntu on the USB drive" but has compatibility issues with multiple computers[also no option to install on usb hdd, when running off my cd drve kubuntu], and "Try" does all i need.. just wanted to skip TRY/Install splash screen. and use different comps[hardware] for a rescue usb drive, basically.

Comment

Originally posted by thekid86
      IF you install Kubuntu on the USB drive (including grub) as you have been advised, there won't be a "try Kubuntu" splash screen.
      "install Kubuntu on the USB drive" but has compatibility issues with multiple computers[also no option to install on usb hdd, when running off my cd drve kubuntu], and "Try" does all i need.. just wanted to skip TRY/Install splash screen. and use different comps[hardware] for a rescue usb drive, basically.
      OF course there are compatibility issues when you install Kubuntu on a USB stick. That's because the installation of Kubuntu is keyed to the exact hardware it sees when it is first installed. So, if you install it on a computer that has an NVidia video chip and some XYZ audio chip you can't expect it to run if it is plugged into a computer with an Intel video and ICH9 audio chip.

So, if what you are asking is a USB install that will run on any computer it is plugged into you won't get it because it is not possible as things currently are.

However, you do know, don't you, that if you make a LiveUSB stick it WILL run on any computer you plug it into using the "try" mode. IF you use an 8GB or bigger USB and set aside at least 4GB for storage when you create the LiveUSB, you can install a LOT of applications, with configurations settings, and the next time you boot the LiveUSB they will be there, with the configuations you set. I use that setup to do online banking on public computers with a LiveUSB stick.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i guess this is an idea for linux if anything.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        kubuntu asks to install on 1st and master HDD[Fastest] -" pluggs everywere" j/k
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        so your Linux u should be able to run on anything"Plug/CD/USB/HDD"..., your kubuntu ISO. should be installed as is; to itself.
        -point is theres plugs on every machine, integration on hardware, Linux can run from any plug.
        -useful if as an ISO; would Grow, to install Apps, Updates and So forth.

your Linux ISO should be ready to go no matter where you run it from, off CD, USB, HDD, 2nd HDD, 3rd HDD, Fire Wire, Express Slot, Network Boot.. ect.

Because Its Where You Want To Install Linux, it shouldn't be tied down to [[[[1 plug on 1 computer]]]].
        -it should be installed to itself as an (ISO).
        -Most People use Windows On there 1st Hard Drive, And Most People want Linux On Spare HDD/Flash Drive/CD/USB.
        -Its A Rescue suit to me, and it shouldn't need to be installed, It should Stay As An ISO, and grow or sum thing for updates, and Apps....
        So if you wanted to Install/Transfer to CD USB Flash/HDD or such; it runs from ISO.
        Just label the different capibilitys per Hardware plug on computer, best option for installation.
        So you can have it act as if its installed to werever ISO it starts at boot.

Comment

OF course there are compatibility issues when you install Kubuntu on a USB stick. That's because the installation of Kubuntu is keyed to the exact hardware it sees when it is first installed. So, if you install it on a computer that has an NVidia video chip and some XYZ audio chip you can't expect it to run if it is plugged into a computer with an Intel video and ICH9 audio chip.
          I think *buntus install the drivers for (at least) the most common hardware by default, and since the drivers are (generally) loaded as modules as necessary, the usb installation should run on different hardware as well (and the kernels aren't compiled for specific hardware)...of course there can be compatibility issues for various reasons, like:
          1. 32-bit and 64-bit versions aren't compatible with the wrong type of computers
          2. Rarer hardware for which drivers don't exist or aren't installed (on the usb installation)
          3. Modified usb installation where drivers are uninstalled or modules blacklisted or wrong modules explicitly loaded
          4. Using filesystems on the host machine for system directories (which obviously aren't there on another machine)
          5. And a number of other reasons I can (and cannot) think of :P

Comment

kubuntu should be like a monster iso file that will boot on any hardware chosen(hdd/or disc).. Like kubuntu already instaled into iso. Like move a bull to any drive; as in iso state. Linux is universal. Should be instaled as is in iso state. Just upack iso automaticaly on any bootable device, and itll grow into an os. Cant yet fully instal into flash drive or cd? Always try thing on usb/ or comp wont let me instal to flash drive

Comment

Working...
            X