X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minimum hardware requirements

Goodnight.
    I would like to know the minimum hardware requirements for installing kubuntu on my pc.
    Thanks, lajeado.

Re: minimum hardware requirements

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

There is no official Kubuntu-specific minimum requirements as far as I know.

In reality, though I suggest a minimum 1.4 ghz and 512 mb ram, though a 2.0 single core with 1gb is as low as I would go myself. A dual core I would go as low as a 1.4 or 1.6ghz. The ram is the real need imo.

Comment

A friend with an older desktop had only 512MB + 128MB of RAM, and it uses shared video RAM. When we talked on skype, and he tried to run Firefox, his skype signal would break up. This week he swapped out the 128MB module for a second 512MB, giving him 1GB. With a bare default KDE desktop, and no packages running, he ran top and it immediately showed 660MB of memory being used. As soon as he launches skype, it (and pulseaudio) run the used memory up to 730MB.

So, my view is that if you're using hardware with less than 1GB of memory, you will be constrained on how many, and what of tasks can be run simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          A friend with an older desktop had only 512MB + 128MB of RAM, and it uses shared video RAM. When we talked on skype, and he tried to run Firefox, his skype signal would break up. This week he swapped out the 128MB module for a second 512MB, giving him 1GB. With a bare default KDE desktop, and no packages running, he ran top and it immediately showed 660MB of memory being used. As soon as he launches skype, it (and pulseaudio) run the used memory up to 730MB.
          I just installed KDE 4.6.4 on my netbook and it's using 190mb at idle. Your friend might want to shut off akonadi and nepomuk for starters - I shut off a couple other nonessential services but do run a few desktop effects.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
          X