This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Please insert disc: Kubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_

Hi there, I'm trying to install Kubuntu 11.04 on my machine.

Live CD fails to boot, gets as far as login screen and then Critical Error pops up, read KDM logs for details. I dont know the live cd login, so I decided to go try to alternate CD instead.

So, alternate CD gets as far as "Installing base system" and about 70%, configuring APT sources... and then Retrieving (something) a pop up appears "Please insert the disc labelled: 'Kubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release i386 (20110426.3)' in the drive '/media/cdrom' and press enter.

Well the CD is in the drive. I can't get any further. Checked the disc for defects - no prob. Downloaded live CD and alternate CD ISO from kubuntu.org.

Please help. I've successfully installed Kubuntu using the live CD on my VAIO laptop

Spec:
    2.93 Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    250GB Western Digital 7200rpm
    ASUS P5G41 CM LX motherboard
    GeForce 7600GS card

Re: Please insert disc: Kubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_

Looks like its related to this bug, does anyone know how I could create a symlink /media/cdrom > /cdrom before running the installer?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/727783

Comment

Now using bootable USB... live CD now works. In the process of installing now.

Comment

installed ok now

Comment

I've switched to using LiveUSB, not because of the "oem" problem but primarily because of the speed and convenience of the install. I keep 4 USB sticks with LiveUSBs of 32 and 64 bit Kubuntu's on them, and one for packages that I usually install. Most PCs can boot from a USB port and a LiveUSB will boot more reliably in any PC that supports USB booting than will a CD boot in a CDROM. In the past I've installed Kubuntu from a certain LiveCD on several laptops (and one desktop) but I occasionally run into a laptop that won't boot the LiveCD. Strangely, they've all been HP laptops.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X