This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 installation trouble

Hi Everybody, I'm new here but have been a Ubuntu user for a few years now. I recently upgraded to 11.04 and was hugely disappointed with Unity so I decided to switch over to Kubuntu 11.04. In doing so I downloaded the 32 bit and 64 bit for my laptop (old D620) and my desktop (duo2). In installing them I've had issues with the 32 bit live CD and alternative CD, the 64 bit live, alternative and DVD all of which are failing in exactly the same place, I've tried it from USB and the optical disks with unetbootin and the live USB maker on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and the live 11.04 systems. for the 32 bit on both computers it fails when "cleaning up the install" stage on all versions, as for the 64 bit it fails on the desktop computer during "copying files" stage on all versions of the install.

With all this I suppose I could assume 2 things, either it's a problem with my hardware setup, the only thing they have in common is NVIDIA graphics cards and both have the dual core Intel CPU's and chipset, one has the duo first generation and the other duo 2.

Or secondly there is an issue with the install image.

Any help would be appreciated, all systems before 11.04 install without issue and for the time being I've reverted back to the LTS version to keep me ticking over.

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 installation trouble

I also had trouble running the maverick to natty upgrade today on a near new dual-boot desktop system with a dedicated 2TB HDD for the Linus OS.

The upgrade stopped near the end, with a complete freeze of the system, no keyboard or mouse inputs working.

After waiting 30mins, with great misgivings I hit the system reboot.

the system booted to the grub loader but again crashed after going to the default configuration.

After another reset, I went for the oldest linux version listed on the grub loader with safe mode selected.

It got through to some sort of very basic looking safe mode menu, and I ran an option repair broken packages. After that the system requested a reboot, and on the next startup I went with the standard most recent linux version, and the system got to the natty grub loader and then booted natty ok.

I ran a complete shutdown and then restart and it seems to be working now.

Evidently some pretty serious problems with the natty install that need urgent attention, or at least a warning attached to the upgrade option.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, both of you

@slap2tickle

If you have been able to install ubuntu 11.04 then it does look quite possible that there is a problem with the kubuntu image you have. Did you do an md5sum check? I can only suggest you download again, and if you burn to CD do so at the slowest possible burn speed.

Alternatively if you can get back to a working ubuntu installation you can install kde with this one command in the terminal

Code:
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      Your gnome/unity environment will be retained (and can be removed at a later date if you wish) but you will be able to login to a KDE session. Please note that on bootup and shutdown you will still see the "ubuntu" and not "kubuntu" splash screen.

@neoniphon

I assume you upgraded via the internet? If so, this method carries, by some considerable margin, the biggest risk of failure. If I were to upgrade (in the true sense) I would tend to get the alternate cd and use that as an upgrade source

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades/Kubuntu

Forgive me if I preach to the converted, but if you have your home directory on a separate partition most of us here would probably advise on a fresh install without doing anything to the home partition. That way you have a fresh new installation but with your desktop configuration intact.

By the way, congratulations on rescuing the situation

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I did do an MD5 check and it checked out ok, the Ubuntu install did work as normal but the KDE disks just won't have it at all and keep failing, I did do a disk integrity check and it found "a corrupted file". I will do as you suggested and re-burn the CD at the slowest speed and see what happens.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X