This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade: Says it is to Ubuntu not Kubuntu

I am getting the notification that upgrade is available but when I clicked on it, it said upgrade was to Ubuntu: so is it Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

I may want to try Ubuntu again sometime on another computer but this one is set up the way I want it.

That brings me to another point: will an upgrade keep all my settings? I haven't upgraded Kubuntu before.

I am a long-term Mandrake/Mandriva user and upgrades were never successful so I am a bit wary.

Please advise a Kubuntu newbie?

Re: Upgrade: Says it is to Ubuntu not Kubuntu

My advice would be to do a fresh install. There are some good experiences with upgrades, but a lot of nightmares too. if you do decide to go for an upgrade, disable all ppa's and third party repositories in software sources before you proceed. Back up, back up, back up.

A fresh install will not take long, especially if you have a separate /home partition. if you don't, this might give you a chance to make one. And, of course, if you're happy with your current installation, it might be good to wait for a month or so before you go ahead with the upgrade. Since you're a new Kubu user, you'll be forgiven for not participating in this dev cycle. But I better see you running 11.10 alpha1 in june!

Comment

I am getting the notification that upgrade is available but when I clicked on it, it said upgrade was to Ubuntu: so is it Ubuntu or Kubuntu?
      If you are using Kubuntu - system will upgrade Kubuntu.

That brings me to another point: will an upgrade keep all my settings? I haven't upgraded Kubuntu before.
      Yes, upgrade keep most of your settings, but I agree with el_koraco with fresh install

Comment

el-koraco: Thanks for your prompt and helpful advice - fresh installs are my natural preference.

I'll wait a bit and try the new ones on another computer.

BTW I do have a /home partition where my preferences/settings are held (I think that's what Mandriva did anyhow) so do you think my setup will be saved?

I have 7 storage drives and it has taken time to get those and everything else set up as wanted so it's quite important to me. I use this computer as my 'library' with movies, music and audiobooks etc stored here where windoze can't get my stuff and destroy it - as it has done in the past.

FermA: Thanks for answering those 2 points! You posted while I was typing my note above.

Comment

I 99 percent of the cases, you simply do things as with any other distro. Choose to mount / on the designated partition and format it, and choose to mount /home on the existing /home partition,but not to format it and it stays that untouched, along with the settings. There is the oddball case in which the installer freaks out and formats /home anyway, so that's why i suggest you backup heavily.

I don't know how many users here know this, but Mandriva's installer is awesome. It offers you a choice as to how it should perform the automatic partitioning for the first time 8like, whether you want a separate /home), and it also does the hardware detection before anything else, and offers to eliminate unnecessary components. Like, if you're putting it on a dekstop, it offers to skip installing all the laptop kernel drivers.

Comment

Working...
          X