X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Problem upgrade from 10.10 with kde 4.6.2 backport

Hello,

Impossible to upgrade form 10.10 with the kde 4.6.2 from backports installed :

E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The same problem appears on 2 of my kubuntu installations with the kde 4.6.2 installed from backports.

Here is the full end of log if I use the do-release-upgrade command.
    Hit http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu natty-security/universe Sources
    Hit http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu natty-security/multiverse Sources
    Hit http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu natty-security/main i386 Packages
    Hit http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu natty-security/restricted i386 Packages
    Hit http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu natty-security/universe i386 Packages
    Hit http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu natty-security/multiverse i386 Packages
    Fetched 0B in 0s (0B/s)

Checking package manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Building data structures... Done

Calculating the changes

Calculating the changes

Could not calculate the upgrade

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:

This can be caused by:
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the
    'update-manager' package and include the files in
    /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report.

Restoring original system state

Aborting
    Building dependency tree
    === Command detached from window (Fri Apr 29 23:15:31 2011) ===
    === Command terminated with exit status 1 (Fri Apr 29 23:15:31 2011) ===

Re: Problem upgrade from 10.10 with kde 4.6.2 backport : E:Unable to correct problem

Please paste the output of:

dpkg --get-selections | grep hold

You may have holds on packages that must be upgraded in order for the upgrade process to work.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Problem upgrade from 10.10 with kde 4.6.2 backport : E:Unable to correct problem

For this very serious thing such as upgrade whole system I suggest to setup main ubuntu repos in sources.list. Or wait for a while, until upgraded packages be distibuted to mirror you have used.

Comment

Hi (sorry for my bad english)

same problem on my laptop with kubuntu 10.10 and kde sc 4.6.2 (from backports)

see my bug report here.
        regards !
        jajaX

ACER Aspire 8930G 904G50Bn under Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver (64 bits)

Comment

Code:
          Get:33 [url]http://archive.ubuntu.com[/url] natty-security/universe i386 Packages [4970B] 
          Get:34 [url]http://archive.ubuntu.com[/url] natty-security/multiverse i386 Packages [14B] 
          Fetched 8973kB in 6s (697kB/s)                         

Vérification du gestionnaire de paquets
          Building dependency tree     

Évaluation des modifications

Évaluation des modifications

Impossible d'évaluer la mise à niveau 

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade: 

This can be caused by: 
          * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu 
          * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu 
          * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu 

Si rien de ceci ne convient, veuillez signaler ce bogue concernant le 
          paquet « update-manager » en y joignant les fichiers du dossier 
          /var/log/dist-upgrade/. 

Restauration du système dans son état d'origine

Annulation
          Building dependency tree     
          === Command detached from window (Sun May 1 00:54:20 2011) ===
          === Command terminated with exit status 1 (Sun May 1 00:54:20 2011) ===
          Originally posted by doctordruidphd
          Please paste the output of:

You may have holds on packages that must be upgraded in order for the upgrade process to work.

the answer => nothing !
          regards !
          jajaX

Comment

Hi,

Idem here :

Code:
            root@bart:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep hold
            root@bart:~#

Comment

Don't know if I'm having the same problem or not, but I have not been able to upgrade to 11.04 from the last release.

The upgrade gets 99% through setting up the software channels and hangs for many, many minutes and then reports that it is unable to correct some problem and asks if I want to report the bug. Click to do so and I get some message about having to use Chrome as a normal user. So I'm not even able to report a bug.

Tried the Live CD to upgrade - no good. It finally brings up a text screen with two options - only problem is that the options have no text, just 1 and 2 and ask which option I want to boot. ? I tried 1 and it worked for a few minutes and died a horrible death. Tried 2 and that was even worse. since nothing happened.

I have no idea what the 2 options are since I have never seen that on any of the previous Live CDs I have used.

Comment

Several 'basic' rules one should observe before attempting a version upgrade.

1) Ensure you are fully dist-upgraded in the current version you are running
                then,
                2) Disable all non-standard Ubuntu repositories (PPAs and/or 'other' repos)
                then,
                Open Software Sources and in the Updates Tab set Release upgrade to Normal Releases
                save and close, then,
                3) Open a terminal and type:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                This has always worked for me. I simply do no trust using KPackagekit for this (I don't use a graphical package manager at all for actual package management).
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,

None of the recommendation did fix the problem. What should I do to know more about the problem. I'm even not sure it's related to kde 4.6.2 backport, but I have the exact same problem on 2 kubuntu on which I installed the KDE 4.6.2 backport.

Regards,

Comment

Did you perhaps have the glasen PPA for the latest Intel drivers setup?

If so, then I had a similar problem when I upgraded. To work around it I temporarily disabled the glasen ppa, removed the updated intel driver, then reinstalled the intel driver from the official Ubuntu repositories. Once I did that, I no longer received the held package error and I was able to upgrade. Once the upgrade completed, I turned the glasen ppa back on and upgraded the Intel driver to the latest again.

Let me know if this might be the problem and I'll provide more detailed steps.

Comment

One other thing I forgot, once the upgrade failed the first time, my sources.list got stuck with all the natty repositories in it which REALLY screwed things up. To fix that, I just opened /etc/apt/sources.list in vi and did a mass replace of the word "natty" with the word "lucid".

Comment

New try :

I had some additional sources added in sources.list.d (google-chrome, kde backports, ..)
                        and virtualbox sources at the end of the sources.list file.

Code:
                        cd /etc
                        tar -zcvf apt.tar.gz apt/
                        cd apt
                        rm sources.list.d/*
                        vi sources.list # Remove all sources except the 4 default one.
                        aptitude update && aptitude upgrade
                        do-release-upgrade
                        It's failing again !!

How can I purge all packages with no sources ?

Comment

[Solved]Problem upgrade from 10.10 with kde 4.6.2 backport :

Hi,

I finally got it to upgrade.

I looked to the /var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log file to find every line starting with 'Investigating (9)'... to check with package/dependancy was causing problem, and then relaunch the do-release-upgrade and recheck the apt.log file.
                          I did remove quite many packages to finally get it to upgrade, including :
                          ipython
                          kdevelop
                          network-manager

Yes ! I finally had to remove network-manager for the upgrade to pass.
                          I do not think it was related to KDE backports...

It's now upgrading.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: [Solved] Problem upgrade from 10.10 with kde 4.6.2 backport

On my other computer, I had to remove dontzap for the upgrade to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by tnorris
                              Did you perhaps have the glasen PPA for the latest Intel drivers setup?

If so, then I had a similar problem when I upgraded. To work around it I temporarily disabled the glasen ppa, removed the updated intel driver, then reinstalled the intel driver from the official Ubuntu repositories. Once I did that, I no longer received the held package error and I was able to upgrade. Once the upgrade completed, I turned the glasen ppa back on and upgraded the Intel driver to the latest again.

Let me know if this might be the problem and I'll provide more detailed steps.
                              yes. It's ok now

I have got just that after but it's ok too !!
                              regards !
                              jajaX

Comment

Working...
                              X