This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Natty available yet?

According to the Kubuntu website, Natty is available now. The recommended installation procedure according to the wiki is: Click on the upgrade notification "Start upgrade now" . But I've gotten no such notification. and kpackagekit doesn't seem to know anything about the Natty upgrade either. Is it really there?

Re: Is Natty available yet?

Originally posted by pwabrahams
    According to the Kubuntu website, Natty is available now. The recommended installation procedure according to the wiki is: Click on the upgrade notification "Start upgrade now" . But I've gotten no such notification. and kpackagekit doesn't seem to know anything about the Natty upgrade either. Is it really there?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/upgrade

Comment

Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

The instructions you referred me to are for Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. Kubuntu has a different update manager. The Kubuntu instructions are at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades/Kubuntu. And as of this moment (11:34 EDT, 29 Apr), there are no upgrades or even other updates there.

Update: I did an unrelated update (of Firefox) and the download was slow as molasses. So it might be that the Kubuntu server is overloaded and the managers are not releasing the update notifications to everyone at once, if such a policy is possible.

Comment

Re: Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

The instructions you referred me to are for Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. Kubuntu has a different update manager. The Kubuntu instructions are at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades/Kubuntu. And as of this moment (11:34 EDT, 29 Apr), there are no upgrades or even other updates there.

Update: I did an unrelated update (of Firefox) and the download was slow as molasses. So it might be that the Kubuntu server is overloaded and the managers are not releasing the update notifications to everyone at once, if such a policy is possible.

I have pointed out to "howto" enable an upgrade you mention, especially step with
        Code:
        edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
        Kubuntu and Ubuntu differs only in desktop (KDE vs GNOME/Unity), while a change you should check refers to system base background, not desktop packages.

Comment

The GUI way is to go to KPackageKit, Software updates, edit software sources, go to the update tab and find the update about releases option, which you need to change to normal releases.

Comment

Natty is available but I can't get it!

I"ve tried everything that's been suggested so far. I went into release-upgrades and saw that it was already set to Prompt=normal. I've tried kpackagekit, which now complains that it can't get an exclusive lock on the packaging back end. (That's a very recent bit of misbehavior, but it didn't pick up Natty before that.) I've tried Synaptic, even with all optional packages removed and with a Reload. Earlier, I went the other way and checked every repository in sight. I've gone to the command line and done apt-get upgrade and apt-get update. Nothing makes the slightest bit of difference -- there's still no sign of the Natty upgrade.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be preventing my system from seeing the upgrade that everyone else seems to be able to get?

Comment

Re: Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

I downloaded both the 32 and the 64 bit versions of Natty and installed them as LiveUSB's I booted the 64bit version and did the kde-restricted install. One of the packages was firefox. It's download speed dropped to as low as 5kb/s and averaged 15kb/s, with occasional bursts of 40kb/s. It took 15 minutes or more to download. After those installs Natty ran like lightening off of my USB port.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ubuntu instructions lead to Kubuntu instructions

Originally posted by molostoff
                I have pointed out to "howto" enable an upgrade you mention, especially step with
                Code:
                edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
                Kubuntu and Ubuntu differs only in desktop (KDE vs GNOME/Unity), while a change you should check refers to system base background, not desktop packages.
                I went to the Ubuntu page. I can't follow the instructions literally because they depend on having the Ubuntu desktop. There is a chain of pointers to other pages, however, and that chain ends at the page for upgrading Kubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades/Kubuntu. And the very first step on that page doesn't work for me since I never get the notification it refers to.

Comment

I'm currently having the same issue, I checked the "normal" dist upgrade in the Kpackage GUI and checked to see that the file "release-upgrades" in /etc/update-manager/ has the config line of "prompt=normal".

So if any one has any ideas, it would be nice to hear them.

Comment

Kickstart the process from a command prompt:

Code:
                    sudo do-release-upgrade
                    Looks like the repository servers are feeling more healthy today too

Comment

do-release-upgrade

I recommend do-release-upgrade if you're having upgrade difficulties. It may not actually work for you (it didn't for me: "No upgrade found"), but at least it bypasses several other problems such as the "Normal Releases" issue referred to in a number of posts on this subject. I believe that if do-release-upgrade doesn't work, nothing else will work either.

Comment

I get "no new release found" I am running the PAE kernel, I wonder if that's the issue.

Code:
                        lanthis@XS633v7532616:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade
                        [sudo] password for lanthis: 
                        Checking for a new ubuntu release
                        No new release found
                        lanthis@XS633v7532616:~$

Comment

No new release found!!!

There seem to be a number of people who get the "no new release found" message from do-release-upgrade. As far as I can determine, if do-release-upgrade won't fetch the upgrade, nothing else will fetch it either.

It would be very useful to the PTB (powers that be), I imagine, to know what it is that distinguishes those for whom the upgrade shows up and those for whom it doesn't. I don't think the choice of download source has much if anything to do with it, however, even though that's the obvious place to look first.

Comment

I just changed my source from "server for United Stats" to "main" and then to "ftp.utexas.edu/ubuntu" and got the same response with all of them.

Comment

Server choice doesn't matter

I had the same experience: the server didn't matter. So we still don't know what separates the blessed from the damned.

Comment

Working...
                              X