This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two SSD Dual Boot

Surprise and credits to author/programmer. I had Win 7 installed on a PC (Biostar A780L, AMD Athlon II X4 640, kludge) with a single 60 Gb SSD and a SATA CD. Then I replace the SSD with a new blank 64 Gb SSD and installed Kubuntu 11.04 - an experiment to see if I liked KDE. I have previously worked with various versions of Ubuntu and Fedora and am somewhat familiar with such Linux installations. Wanting a dual boot Win 7/Kubuntu configuration with these two SSD's I did some Googling to find out how to configure GRUB properly. Not finding a ready answer, I connected both SSD's and configured the bios to boot the Win 7 SSD , although the other SSD was present. Win 7 did not recognize the Linux SSD (as Drive D, or as "found new hardware"), but Windows Disk Management showed it as unknown. Next I exchanged the SATA lines so the Kubuntu SSD should boot. It did, and I as I expected Linux showed both /dev/sda with Linux ext partitions and /dev/sdb with NTFS partitions. However, I was amazed to find that the Linux boot Grub had entries for the Linux on SDA and the Win 7 on SDB and I had a working dual boot configuration. Apparently Grub had done what I wanted (and did not know well how to do) automatically.

As a different issue, I do need help. Kubuntu 11.04 would not set up my jet direct Laserjet 4 network printer. I am very familiar with jet direct on networks with Ubuntu, Fedora, and Windows and the Kubuntu entries all went off properly, but it still did not print a test page. However, I could Ping the printer (fixed address) from the Kubuntu terminal.

I think you should start a new thread for the printer issue. Assuming you still have the printer entry, how is it set up? What is the Device URI? And what is the full Printer Model string? I have two laserjets working fine - set up differently though.

You could post these details in a new thread

Re the twin SSD dual boot, yes GRUB is much smarter at recognising windows than windows is at recognising other OSes!
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
    X