X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Bad Behaving Desktop

... is about the best descriptor.

OK, I have been running Kubuntu on my laptop since about version 7.04. The past couple of weeks things have not been right. Until recently, I was able to go to Sleep mode and then "Awake" and all would be OK. Now, when I put it in Sleep mode, it will not awaken and the system has to reboot. After rebooting, the sound is always Muted.

Also, KPackageKit for the past 10 days or so has said I have 81 updates, but I cannot get the KPackageKit to update. I hit Apply and it does its full routine and after logging in, in a short while it just stops. Same results for Synaptic, etc.

I also run XAMPP and have not been able to back up a database very recently. phpMyAdmin just churns and churns and will not finish a backup.

I have not installed any software package in months nor have I messed with any Widgets.

OH, one more thing... The other day I noticed the system Date/Time was off by about 6 years. Yes, 6 years.

Lastly, I get the notifier to Upgrade to 11.10 very often now. I would prefer to get "things" back to normal before Upgrading.

Any ideas

thanks in advance...

Re: Bad Behaving Desktop

I would start with the mysterious inability to run updates (it may or may not be related to other issues). Open your konsole and issue:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and if any of those produce error output, let's have a look at it.

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: Bad Behaving Desktop

ahhhhhh... I had forgotten about the line:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      OK, all is updated/upgraded I think, and the constant KPackageKit icon went away. Time will tell if everything else is working, sooooo, I will mark is SOLVED.

thank you !!!

Comment

Working...
      X