This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub problems when making dual boot machines

I am trying to replicate a “mother” single boot machine into a bunch of other machines that will be dual boot machines. The mother machine has lots of added applications, updates, and configuration settings.

I have been attempting this by copying the mother machine partition information with fsarchiver (SystemRescueCD) with the plan of placing this into prepared partitions of what is hoped to be the dual boot machines again using fsarchiver. I prepare the dual boot machine by installing Kubuntu Natty from the live CD. All is well so far. Once the dual boot machines are proven to work, I copy out their /etc/default/grub file and the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. Then I install the fsarchiver file in the directory that received the Kubuntu root directory from the live CD install, I then copy in the grub and grub.cfg files.

When I attempt to boot the new dual boot machines I get the following:
    error: no such device: 9a671c07-d705-4a55....
    error: no such disk
    error: no suitable mode found.

Then if I wait a good bit of time, the dual boot grub menu appears. From this I can boot into Windows but if I attempt to boot into 2.6.38-8-generic, things hang for a while and the boot menu appears again.

Does anyone have suggestions how to make this work or how better to accomplish what I am attempting? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Re: Grub problems when making dual boot machines

The UUIDs in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file that you copied are for the PC it came from. The UUIDs on the PCs you copied it to are different.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Grub problems when making dual boot machines

Thanks Snowhog, you may pointing to the problem but let me clarify. The grub.cfg that are in the dual boot machine actually came from the dual boot machine. I obtained the file (and the /etc/default/grub file) from the dual boot machine immediately after I used a Kubuntu Live CD and made it a dual boot machine. I copied those files out to a memory stick prior to putting the fsarchiver file into the dual boot machine. After putting the fsarchiver files in, then I copied back in the two files mentioned above that actually came from the dual boot machine. Hopefully this clarifies what I did. Does this sound like the correct thing to do?

Ray

Comment

Working...
      X