X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail fatal error after installing kubuntu 11.10 over ubuntu 11.10

The error message was:
    Failed to fetch the resource collection.

I upgraded ubuntu to 11.10 and all worked but the dual head display did not, and trying to make it work with the nvidia tool made the system unusable.

I do not find the unity dm good for serious work anyway, so I installed kubuntu 11.10 - keeping the non system files.

The dual head display is now fine (though the nvidia tool could not write out - I had to display and cut and paste its output to /etc/X11/xorg.conf).

kmail fails as described, and ktimetracker fails too (others have posted about it).

I have attached the output from running kmail.
    Attached Files

kmail fatal error after installing kubuntu 11.10 over ubuntu 11.10

I had display problems after upgrading to ubuntu 11.10 so I installed kubuntu 11.10 (keeping non system software)

kmail (and ktimetracker) fail.

The console output from kmail is attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: kmail fatal error after installing kubuntu 11.10 over ubuntu 11.10

Stuart:

While I am unable to assist with the current problems, perhaps I can help you avoid this in the future.

Ordinarily, one would not install Kubuntu over Ubuntu. Most of the core packages are the same -- only the desktop environment differs. One can ADD KDE to an install of Ubuntu. Use the package manager and search for the KDE metapackage. This will install only KDE components on top of your Ubuntu system. Then you will have both desktop environments. You can choose which one to boot at the login screen.

My laptop is set up like that. The Kmenu will show BOTH the KDE and the Gnome apps, and you can use Gnome apps from within KDE. Some of the inter-process communication between Gnome and KDE apps doesn't work (I don't think you can drag and drop from one to the other), but otherwise, they will do their respective jobs just fine.

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Re: kmail fatal error after installing kubuntu 11.10 over ubuntu 11.10

Hi
        do you have akonadi working?

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X