This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail to Kmail2

I have lots of old messages in ~/Mail and have used Kmail for a very long time. How do I get this stuff imported into the new version of Kmail in 11.10? I cannot make sense out of File->Import Messages. Has anyone else on the list done this and would be willing to get me started?

Re: Kmail to Kmail2

file >> import messages brings up the kmail import tool. You need to select the type of mail folder you have (most likely Kmail maildir), and then browse to the folder you want to import, in this case ~/Mail. it will copy the mails into a subfolder of your choosing.

Another option (I have not done this myself) is to add a new resource in kmail's account settings, and select 'Kmail maildir" as the type, and point it to ~/Mail. this will give ~/Mail its own top-level folder structure, separate from your Inbox/Outbox/Trash.

Even one other option (again, I have not done this myself) if you used ~/Mail as your main Inbox/Trash/etc, is to edit the Local Folders resource (back in the Accounts section) and point it to ~/Mail

Do back up, just to be safe, though none of these processes deletes any mails.

Comment

Re: Kmail to Kmail2

Originally posted by claydoh
      file >> import messages brings up the kmail import tool. You need to select the type of mail folder you have (most likely Kmail maildir), and then browse to the folder you want to import, in this case ~/Mail. it will copy the mails into a subfolder of your choosing.

Another option (I have not done this myself) is to add a new resource in kmail's account settings, and select 'Kmail maildir" as the type, and point it to ~/Mail. this will give ~/Mail its own top-level folder structure, separate from your Inbox/Outbox/Trash.

Even one other option (again, I have not done this myself) if you used ~/Mail as your main Inbox/Trash/etc, is to edit the Local Folders resource (back in the Accounts section) and point it to ~/Mail

Do back up, just to be safe, though none of these processes deletes any mails.
      Thanks for the reply. I finally did figure out what to do and the thing is in the process of importing a boat load of messages (44,800) so far. I have been using Kmail a long time. I have purged a lot of stuff out, but apparently, I need to purge a lot more.

Thank you for the help

Comment

Working...
      X