This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't upgrade to 11.10 with ALternate CD

Ok, since my Internet proves to be slow, and unreliable at times, I chose to upgrade my Kubuntu 11.04 with a Alternate CD. I did this before with Ubuntu a while back (when 11.04 had come out), and it worked fine. Now I can't upgrade Kubuntu though! It just won't work I pressed Alt+F2, brought up that little command bar thingy, and pasted
    Code:
    kdesudo "/media/cdrom/cdromupgrade"
    in like I was told to do, but after I type in my password for administer privileges, nothing happens. When I selected "Run in terminal window I'm given this information:
    Code:
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/keefe/.config/ibus/bus
    Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Re: Can't upgrade to 11.10 with ALternate CD

Ok, i got it working by mounting the ISO file to my cdrom drive. Here's something else though. Why is it that when I downloaded Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit alternate cd, that the upgrade window says it's Ubuntu? XP I downloaded the proper one from the Kubuntu website! Why does it say Ubuntu?!

Also, it also stops installing. I get this error message now:
    Could not calculate the upgrade

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
    The package 'update-manager' is marked for removal but it is in the removal blacklist.

This can be caused by:
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug using the command 'ubuntu-bug update-manager' in a terminal.
    I've tried that command, but it just results in errors. Someone please help me! DX

Comment

because all the underlying base system IS ubuntu, mainly the kernel - which is where the information is taken as the OS is that kernel.

Comment

Oh, ok. So technically Kubuntu is just Unbuntu, but with KDE instead of GNOME. Thanks! ^^ But now why can't i install the bloody thing? XP

Comment

did you check the iso, or try a different download? I have not done an upgrade this way myself in a while but it always has worked in the past.

But from your error, it seem that something is trying to remove upgrade-manager, which is the part that runs the upgrade

Try updating your natty to see if there are any updates available, or to see what may be happening:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          If there is a problem, there will be a better error message on what is going on.

Comment

Tried that, but no avail. :/ I'm trying to install via the regular method. It's just gonna take, 4, 8, 14 hours to complete the downloading...even though 35% of the downloading is done. Xp I hate my ISP!

Comment

Originally posted by keiththewolf
              Tried that, but no avail. :/ I'm trying to install via the regular method. It's just gonna take, 4, 8, 14 hours to complete the downloading.
              the up grader will report erroneous results depending on whats happening with your network at the time .

Originally posted by keiththewolf
              ..even though 35% of the downloading is done. Xp I hate my ISP!
              what do you meen by .......
              "35% of the downloading is done"?

did you start a upgrade then disturb it in the middle of the process ?

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

no, he has slow internet, perhaps someone close can get him a disk?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                  no, he has slow internet, perhaps someone close can get him a disk?
                  O .....whare ya live thare @keiththewolf ?

I could make and send you what ever you like .........I think a cd/DVD will get mailed at a regular price (a few stamps)

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, but it's not really necessary. I can download my own disks, but the thing is I do them by torrent, since I can pause and resume them as much as I need, without having to worry about servers not allowing me to resume my broken downloads. The problem is my ISP can be slow, and even unreliable at certain times. Also, I'm plagued with DNS problems occasionally. So i torrent things! X3 And i downloaded the desktop version of Kubuntu, and installed it, since when i did try the normal way, it broke Kubuntu, and I couldn't figure out how to repair it. And so I've started over...again! XD;; Oh well...ce la vi!

Comment

Working...
                    X