X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZRam

I came across this today:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/incre...inux-with.html

Has anyone had any experience with this method?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: ZRam

If I'm reading it correctly, the only problem it really solves is the slowdown that happens when swapping begins. So that's kind of a marginal situation -- if your system is frequently going into swap, then the real problem is you don't have enough RAM for the tasks that you're running.

Comment

Hey dible, thanks for the input
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

this may be a good thing for some of my older box's with low RAM that routinely go to swap.

thanks for the heads up on this @Fintan

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

For a time, there was flurry of interest in compcache (the predecessor of zRam) in the Android world. The debate over its usefulness never died down until phones started increasing the amount of RAM. Now it's hardly used, at least in the Android communities I frequent.

I fail to see the logic in dedicating a portion of memory to act as a fast disk cache when a system is already memory-constrained. Vinny, have you given zRam a go? Do you notice a difference? The folks experimenting with compcache in Android land spent many months diddling with settings, trying to find the optimal balance between constrained system memory and the compcache size. I don't recall there ever being an ideal.

Comment

Well that sort of settles it for me
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
            X