Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu messed up after today (7 October) updates...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu messed up after today (7 October) updates...

Hi all, I have Kubuntu 11.04 64bit, I just installed the latest updates (over 120 packages all related to KDE), I only have the official and stable repositories, nevertheless....I reboot and the desktop doesn't work. Every clic is very slow and I cannot do anything.

I'm thinking about a reinstall, this is very bad for Linux (stability!!??), but I'm working on my thesis and I need a working system, I trusted Linux but this really upsets me . How can they release official updates which mess up a system?
    Luckily I have a separated /home. However, before proceeding, I was wondering if it's possible in some way to reverse the last updates through the terminal?
    Thanks in advance, and AVOID the last updates!

Here the (bad) news: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4...-natty-updates

Re: Kubuntu messed up after today (7 October) updates...

I no longer have a 11.04 installation to test, but that news item says "maintenance update", which should not cause such problems.

If your system is very slow, try opening "top" in a console window, and let's see what is using so much resources, for starters.

Comment

Yes they say so...apparently I'm the only one with this problem? Could it be related to the 64bit version?

However top shows no abnormal activities both on the CPU and the RAM side. But I think the problem is in Plasma, because the kickbar was completely unusable, while the desktop worked. However I just formatted, and I'm trying to avoid the updates. I'll wait for the release of 11.10 for a fresh install. However, this remains a bad issue, do you think it could be possible for the developers to implement an option in the package manager to "reverse" the last updates?

Comment

From the number of similar reports here and at other forums we can conclude you suffered an odd problem.

In case you thought it was a plasma problem you could have disabled the desktop effects.
        Alt+Shift+F12 can toggle the effects at any time.

An other test is to rename the ~/.kde directory and reboot, when the problem is caused by some funny setting in this directory the issue should then be solved and you can, one or a few at a time, restore your old .kde items.

Comment

The problem appeared again even on the fresh installation....so I removed the .kde directory, and the problem seems solved, thank you!! I'll now try to finish the updates and see what happens.
          It's quite strange, I really had a quite clean system, but probably something was the cause of this mess.

Comment

Working...
          X