This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Lost access to fonts via System Settings

Don't know what happened, but I'm suddenly unable to access "Fonts" under System Settings | Application Appearance | Fonts. When I select it, I get a spinning mouse pointer and nothing ever actually happens; I have to 'terminate' the application in order to close it. Any ideas? (It's only happening to me, i.e., my dummy accounts on the same laptop don't have this problem.)
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Lost access to fonts via System Settings

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
    Don't know what happened, but I'm suddenly unable to access "Fonts" under System Settings | Application Appearance | Fonts. When I select it, I get a spinning mouse pointer and nothing ever actually happens; I have to 'terminate' the application in order to close it.
    First thought... try renaming the file .fonts.conf (yes, it starts with a dot) in your home directory to something else, log out, then log back in. Check:
    • Did KDE create a new .fonts.conf?
    • Can you open the Fonts settings window?

Comment

Re: Lost access to fonts via System Settings

Originally posted by SteveRiley
      Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
      Don't know what happened, but I'm suddenly unable to access "Fonts" under System Settings | Application Appearance | Fonts. When I select it, I get a spinning mouse pointer and nothing ever actually happens; I have to 'terminate' the application in order to close it.
      First thought... try renaming the file .fonts.conf (yes, it starts with a dot) in your home directory to something else, log out, then log back in.
      Okay, now I feel like a complete idiot. Because of .fonts.conf's effect on fonts in SeaMonkey/Firefox (it makes them hideously ugly), historically I've always deleted it and that solved the problem. However, for reasons unknown to me, in 11.04 that trick doesn't work because the file keeps getting recreated. So instead of simply deleting it I deleted it, touched it (so it's just an empty file), and then chmod 000 it so it couldn't be rewritten. I had tried making it 400 and 444 but that still allowed it to be recreated (shouldn't have, but did).

Well...duh. Making it readable solved the problem I posted about. So that's resolved, but I have yet to figure out why the file keeps getting recreated, whereas in previous versions of Kubuntu it did not.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X