This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Kubuntu boot up menu is gone! D:

Ok, I used to have this boot up menu (it was blue, or purple I think) that let me select which kernel to boot up in, boot up in recovery mode, run a memory test, and boot Windows. Well, now it's gone. I don't know what I did to make it disappear, but it's gone. How do i restore it?

Re: My Kubuntu boot up menu is gone! D:

hold down the shift key wile starting the box should show the grub menu.

or open /etc/default/grub as root
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub
    and comment out the line
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT
    by placing a # before it and change the line
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=
    to however many seconds you want to pause at the grub menu before it boot's the default line.

save and quit kate

run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and reboot to check

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I did that, but for some reason, still no boot menu. :/ I'm wondering what I did to turn it off. XP

Comment

I notice that in the KPackageKit, it looks like Kubuntu 11.04 is using GRUB, instead of GRUB2. What's the difference? Can I install GRUB2 on instead? Because by the looks of the packages, I can install a editor that easily allows me to manage the bootup menu, and add splash screens and that. I know it sounds strange, but I'm a geek. SO i want my bootup menus to look fancy and that. XD;;

Comment

GRUB version 1.99 is, in fact, GRUB 2. The grub2 package is just a dummy package that depends on grub-pc, which is what you're already running.

Have you checked out whether grub-customizer might provide the features you're looking for?

Comment

It worked! ^^ Thank you! And thanks for explaining to me that the GRUB thats supplied is actually GRUB2, even though it just says GRUB. It's kinda confusing the way it's put, since GRUB2 sounds like a newer version of GRUB. X3

Comment

Working...
            X