This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fancy Tasks" widget crashes

One of my favorite widgets is Fancy Tasks...but, alas, I cannot run it on my new laptop. As SOON as I install it, it crashes. My entire screen goes dark for a few seconds, then my desktop comes back, minus Fancy Tasks from my taskbar.

It's certainly not the end of the world if I have to live without FT, but I'd prefer not to! Any thoughts on why this is happening and/or how to fix it?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: "Fancy Tasks" widget crashes

No ideas?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

One reason for crashing plasma-widgets is that they're built for different KDE version that you are using.

This could happen if, for example, you have installed KDE 4.7.x from a ppa and have fancy tasks installed from Natty repos which is built for 4.6.x

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        One reason for crashing plasma-widgets is that they're built for different KDE version that you are using.

This could happen if, for example, you have installed KDE 4.7.x from a ppa and have fancy tasks installed from Natty repos which is built for 4.6.x
        Thanks, but I don't believe that's the issue here.

I didn't realize that this is a known bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ks/+bug/750925 I'm now subscribed to its bug updates.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

I have been using fancy tasks on and off for a couple of years, and I must say it is the most buggy plasma in the repos from my experience. I like it better then the others Daisy and "can't-remember-the-name" because it acts better in KDE with icons for instance. However lately I have been removing the the tasks area and this have made great improvements to me. Instead I use smooth-tasks beside fancy-tasks. Works nice for me. I also use it on a panel instead of as a panel, which also seem to improve it slightly (don't ask me why it improves, I haven't done any real testing)

my task bar looks like in this picture;

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Re: &quot;Fancy Tasks&quot; widget crashes

I've never had issues with Fancy Tasks until Kubuntu 11.04. Prior to that it never crashed, never caused any problems whatsoever. It's such a nice widget...I wish they'd get the bugs out so I could resume using it!

PS Jonas, I like this line in your sig:

officially free from windoze since 09-12-11

Comment

Working...
            X