Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I figure out what is causing random lockups?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I figure out what is causing random lockups?

I'm using Kubuntu 11.04. I upgraded with update-manager -d from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04.

Ever since the upgrade I get this weird lockup where I can move the mouse but can't click on anything and the keyboard doesn't work. It is too random to say there is any specific cause. So I'd like to know where to start looking for the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Update: See my other question about how to downgrade or finish the upgrade to 11.10. I attempted to go up to 11.10 but now everything is broken. When it boots now it shows up at the bash prompt with several error messages. Doing a startx just blanks the screen and nothing else happens. I'm backing up everything now and will be installing from scratch (10.04) if I can't figure out how to complete the upgrade. Anyone?

Re: How do I figure out what is causing random lockups?

Generally video + mouse + keyboard problems at the same time usually result from a bad video driver configuration, or the wrong choice of video driver. BUT, because upstart automatically "detects" the video and chooses the "right" driver, and configures it on the fly, there is no config file to edit unless you create one manually. That topic has been discussed several times in the forum and you can find the threads and solutions with a simple search.

However, my advice is still that which I gave on your other thread. The 11.10 LiveCD or LiveUSB should give a good and stable video with working keyboard and mouse. Check to be sure before you click the install icon.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X