This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dimmed screen on laptop after Natty installation

After a fresh install of Natty on an emachine laptop, the screen is completely dimmed. I don't even see the login without shining a flashlight on the screen. I installed 10.04 to see what would happen, and it installed fine. no problems with the screen brightness. I even tried changing all power profiles and brightness levels i could find.

is this an Xorg problem, a hardware or driver problem? I have to use the Alternate CD to install. The Live CD is even dimmed when i try to use it.

Thanks
    danuntu

Re: dimmed screen on laptop after Natty installation

does your machine have hardware buttons to incresse the backlight (i.e mine uses Fn+ UP/DOWN) perhaps yours is just set low?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

yes tried that several times. i think it has something to do with the specific driver for this video card.

i can connect a vga monitor to it and i can see the desktop clearly. but to change back to the laptop display the screen stays dimmed.

i don't know where to start to solve this!

Comment

ok i booted the Live CD. hit F6 and use the nomodeset option. It booted with a normal bright screen. what's up with that?

how can i use that on a normal installed boot. Or does that point to a possible solution?

Comment

do you have a properitary driver availble for that system?
          when all booted up look in jockey the additional drivers tool
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

the only proprietary drivers are the Broadcomm STA drivers. I did have trouble with my wireless connection at first. But after an update all wireless problems went away.

the dimmed screen issue is always present, unless I connect a vga monitor.

Would sure like to resolve this.

Thanks

EDIT: i'm just about ready to change OS's on this laptop and DON'T want to

Comment

If you boot into recovery mode from the Grub menu, is the brightness of the laptop display normal - can you read the text? If 'yes,' then you can add the 'nomodset' kernel option to /etc/default/grub (or grub.conf - sorry, I'm not working at my Linux laptop -- on vaction and working on my brothers Windows desktop), save the file and rebuild the grub menu with:
              Code:
              sudo update-grub
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X