X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] natty install: no video output

Hi

I've got a Packard Bell Easynote TH36 laptop on which I initially installed kubuntu 10.10 without problem: installation went out of the box, my only problems concerned graphics, such as difficulties seeing a video fullscreen.

I recently decided to upgrade to natty.

First using the update manager: everything went fine until I was asked to reboot: then nothing, the screen turned black and nothing else happened.
    I then tried a fresh install from a CD. Again very difficult, the screen turned black immediately after the first menu when I select "start kubuntu".
    After some search on forum and kubuntu official support, I was adviced a workaround:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

Here is exactly what I did:

-boot from CD
    -hit F6 and ESC to disable the popup menu, then manually edit the boot options: remove "quiet splash" and insert "i915.modeset=0"
    -The computer boots and I can try natty and then install it.
    -At reboot on disk however, again the black screen. The computer yet starts as I ear the startup music.
    -I supposed I had to insert the i915.modeset=0 boot option within grub.
    -So I start from disk, hit shift to display the grub menu, then e to edit, add the options to the boot line, then F10 to start
    The problem is yet unsolved: still black screen and no possible console login, although the computer starts (music again)

Strange enough, a lucid install went without this problem, but with no wifi however...

Please help, this lasts for 2 weeks now and I have to used a very old spare awfully slow spare PC!

In case this helps I attach the log of lshw (I could run it after the lucid install)

thanks in advance

Attached Files

Re: natty install: no video output

I have a similar problem. I cant get the OS to play music or video files. when I double click on any such files, the OS prompts me to download some plugins. however the OS is unable to download them.
    I am using Kubuntu 11.04 with win XP.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] natty install: no video output

Sorry for disturbing and letting you read my poor English

After a night of intensive search, I've found on the 8th page of this forum a related topic and could save the problem.
      Solution is:

-Install natty from CD. Prior to install, at the first menu, hit F6 to allow for more options, and select nomodeset, then start install
      -On reboot after succesfull install, hit SHIFT to have GRUB menu, e to edit the commands, insert "nomodeset" right after "quiet splash" options.
      -Once you are logged on, edit (with sudo) /etc/default/grub and add the same option.
      -Run sudo update-grub

that's it

Well just a couple of comments

-to shihan3: I don't think we were talking about the same problem: I had nothing on the terminal (neither X nor console) on reboot, although the startup music told me the computer had correctly started. So I was not able to double click on any file!
      -I imagine a newcomer to Linux having this problem at install: he would immediately give up and that's a pity. I don't know what is the reason for the problem but it really shoumd be fixed. I still don't understand why we have this with natty, all was working properly with lucid and maverick.

Thanks again for those who tried to understand me!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] natty install: no video output

Popol,

Did that fix your issue? I am guessing it has something to do with the video card on that Packard bell. I had no idea they still make computers. I sometimes have issues with some laptop chipsets and video cards, especially odd ones. But I hope that fixed it for you.

Comment

Working...
        X