X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Upgrade to 11.04: nvidia driver now fails to start

The PC at issue:
    64-bit install, GeForce 7800GTX with two monitors connected via DVI, trying to use the proprietary driver as provided by nvidia-current.

This is a bit of an odd one, since I can't quite figure out what would've changed and it took me forever to convince myself that it was in fact actually an error and not simply me somehow not having the right package configured or xorg.conf screwed up or whatnot, but what I finally seem to be at is the following: X fails to start because it tries to start up the onboard graphics, which fails, and thus despite how (from the logs, at least) the PCI-E card starting fine it bumps me into the failed X screen (which I think is BulletProofX?).

I actually remember, on this computer, when BulletProofX was first added it would keep prompting me with that screen, but I could just click "cancel" and it'd finish starting X just fine, so I never actually looked into quite what was going wrong. For the last few distro versions that's been fixed, but now it seems to be back with a vengeance.

I've attached the kdm, kern and Xorg logs (along with my current xorg.conf) in case I'm misunderstanding things, or in case more info would be needed if any kind soul is able to help. My main hypothesis here, to sum up, is that with the built-in (Geforce 6150 on PCI 0:5:0) graphics failing for some reason, despite the adapter I'm actually using (GeForce 7800GTX on PCI 3:0:0, which I've specified with busid "PCI:3:0:0" in xorg.conf) working fine the failure condition is being triggered and it's locking me over into the failsafe screen. So perhaps disabling BulletProofX would fix the problem? Although that sounds like a sub-obtimal fix.
    Attached Files

Re: Upgrade to 11.04: nvidia driver now fails to start

Well! After tons of fiddling and trying in vain to entirely disable the X failsafe gunk, I did the following:

(1) Uninstalled GDM (I wasn't using it anyways) --- nope, still didn't work.
    (2) Make sure that the built-in graphics card is set to "auto" (there's no actual "disabled" setting, but I had been toggling it back and forth between the two maybe-depending settings) --- nope, no change
    (3) Reinstalled GDM and made it default --- hey wait, now I get the GDM login!
    (4) Started an Openbox session, opened up nvidia-settings, configured twinview and told it to save to xorg.conf; it couldn't parse the current file, so I just told it to overwrite it.
    (5) Killed GDM and started KDM --- it works!
    (6) Good ol' dpkg-reconfigure on "kdm" and made it default
    (7) Restarted the computer just to be sure --- still works!

So in some ways I'm even more unclear on what the actual problem was, but whatever it was it's solved now! Thanks to everyone who read this post---I'm not even being sarcastic, I'm sure many people read this intending to help but never thought of anything. Knowing that I had this post up there and that people elsewhere in the world were at least giving it a moment of consideration helped me persevere.

As a final note, if you look at the steps I took to fix this you can see why someone like me (I have these sorts of issues with computers ALL THE TIME) is so tied to Linux; there really isn't any other desktop OS out there that'd let one approach the issue in such a modular fashion.

Comment

Working...
    X