This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new laptop and 64-bit Natty

Purchased a new HP Pavilion g7 laptop yesterday from Radio Shack. I just couldn't pass up on the price: $479.99.

Specs:
    Intel Core i3-380M processor 2.53GHz
    17.3" HD BrightView LED Display 1600x900
    500GB HDD
    4096MB (4GB) DDR3 SDRAM
    WLAN & Bluetooth (Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01))
    LightScribe DVD Optical Drive
    Webcam
    3 USB ports
    1 HDMI port

The Broadcom driver was available, installable, and working 'out of the box.'
    Installed Cheese and the webcam worked 'out of the box.'
    The Wi-Fi on/off function button works 'out of the box.'
    The LED brightness function button controls work 'out of the box.'
    Sound worked 'out of the box.'

Dumped Windows 7 completely. Formatted the HDD with a 4GB swap, 15GB /root and 50GB /home, both ext4. Partitioning as follows:

sda1 swap (primary)
    sda4 extended (remaining space on HDD)
    sda5 /root
    sda6 /home
    sda7 (15GB for second Kubuntu /root)
    sda8 (50GB for second Kubuntu /home)
    sda9 (331.76GB for 'stuff')

Added the Medibuntu repository and installed the DVD and media codecs. Added the ppa:kubuntu-ppa and upgraded to KDE 4.6.4.

Live is good. 8)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: My new laptop and 64-bit Natty

Nice

mrs. wiz got a new laptop a couple weeks back but she runs Windows. Open box deal at newegg was $750 out the door -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16834220996R

ASUS N53 Series N53SV-XV1 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M w/ NVIDIA Optimus

The thing is a beast but I will say there are two things I don't care for on the laptop. First, the keyboard doesn't feel real solid - it kinda flexes in the middle and second, ASUS puts more crapware on a laptop than anyone I've ever seen. I'm still cleaning the thing up
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Re: My new laptop and 64-bit Natty

17.3" diagonal with 1600x900 and everything works out of the box!!!

What is the video chip? slow, medium or fast?
      HP's are very good quality laptops. What's the complete model number? (My keyboard is wearing out! )

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X