This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The good, the bad, and the ugly, 11.04

As many of you know, I switched to Ubuntu after Hardy, because I did not like KDE4. Now I am switching back to Kubuntu.

I upgraded my Ubuntu Maverick to Natty and it screwed up a few things. The Unity desktop, installed by default interferes with my Gnome settings. Several things just don't work right anymore.

So I installed Kubuntu Natty on a separate partition.

It will now be my main OS and desktop. I have spent several days playing around with all of the settings, and I have it working pretty much to my satisfaction.

I am learning to really like Kwin. The only issue I have is, I wish I had a better understanding of what all of the different settings in "Desktop Effects' do. I'll learn by trial and error. I'm used to compiz but I will learn Kwin.

I've only broken my desktop four times so far.

I'm enjoying the learning experience.

Biggest complaint I have is that settings are not all found under "System Settings" but are spread all over and not enough explanation of what some of them do.

I still have not found how to change the background color of my panels, but I did manage to change the font so I can at least read text in the panels.

Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly, 11.04

Originally posted by Detonate
    I still have not found how to change the background color of my panels, but I did manage to change the font so I can at least read text in the panels.
    The panels are handled by the plasma workspace theme (in SystemSettings>WorkspaceAppearance), and only some of them (like aya) use your color theme in the panels...others use hard-coded graphics (which you can of course change if you know your way around svg graphics). I'd suggest trying out a few different themes first, to see if one of them meets your requirements.

Comment

I'll try some different themes. Thanks

Comment

Detonate, if you were using emerald before rog132 (formerly rog131 here) created a kwin style that can use an emerald theme. Since emerald is broken in Natty his kwin-style-smaragd has allowed me to use my favorite emerald theme in KDE.

I sent him a PM to thank him for smaragd but it went to his old vaporized account, so I'll thank him publicly here

Thanks, rog - I haven't found a theme I like better than the euh emerald theme. Now I can use it in KDE again.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Where do I get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            Where do I get it?
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install kwin-style-smaragd

You extract your emerald theme to ~/.emerald/theme and in systemsettings --> Workspace Appearance --> Window Decorations you select 'Smaragd' as your theme.

Here's where I get emerald themes -

http://compiz-themes.org/index.php?xcontentmode=103

or on kde-look.org

and I use this one -

http://compiz-themes.org/content/sho...?content=48273

but you can get it here as well -

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=48273

More info on smaragd from kde-look -

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=125162

The page says you have to compile from source, but as above there's a ppa available.

-- anais nin

Comment

@Detonate, if you haven't figured it out already, there are a series of gtk-related packages that will smooth out the kwin presentation of windows and window decorations for gtk packages. In my little cheater list of "install these first" packages, I have these:

gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-oxygen gtk2-engines-qtcurve gtk-qt-engine

kde-config-gtk-style

qtcurve

system-config-gtk-kde

Some of them may not be applicable for Kubuntu, vs. my KDE on Debian, but I recommend installing all of them that you can find.

Comment

I use QtCurve widgets simply because of their ease of integration. To configure the thing in KDE I use gtk-chtheme because I've had better luck with it than native KDE tools.

One thing - applications that run as root needs to be configured as root (like synaptic).
                -- anais nin

Comment

Don't have time to play with it right now, I'll work on it some more tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

BTW, I fixed the problems with my Gnome desktop in Ubuntu 11.04. It was a simple as issueing the command
                    sudo apt-get purge Unity

Comment

Working...
                    X