This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash not working after upgrade to 11.04

Upgrade to 11.04 went fine but now can't get Flash working. Have tried installing from KPackage and cmd line with same results. Here's the output of recent"sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer"

================================================== =====
    flashplugin-installer is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    gfortran-4.4 gfortran-4.5 esound-clients g++-4.4 g++-4.5 libftgl2 libglew1.5
    libstdc++6-4.5-dev linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic g++ firefox-branding
    linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic libpcrecpp0 libx264-98 cfortran
    linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic gfortran airstrike-common libxpm-dev
    libfreetype6-dev linux-headers-2.6.35-23 linux-headers-2.6.35-24
    linux-headers-2.6.35-25 linux-headers-2.6.35-28 libplib1 libxdot4
    libpcre3-dev freeglut3 linux-headers-2.6.35-24-generic libstdc++6-4.4-dev
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Setting up nspluginwrapper (1.2.2-0ubuntu9) ...
    plugin dirs: :/var/lib/flashplugin-installer/
    Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    Looking for plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
    Looking for plugins in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
    Segmentation fault
    dpkg: error processing nspluginwrapper (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of flashplugin-installer:
    flashplugin-installer depends on nspluginwrapper (>= 0.9.91.4-2ubuntu1); however:
    Package nspluginwrapper is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing flashplugin-installer (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    nspluginwrapper
    flashplugin-installer
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    ================================================== ===

Any idea on how to get rid of this 139 error ?

thanks
    R.

Re: Flash not working after upgrade to 11.04

I am unsure as to whether or not this will help but I use "Flash=Aid". It's a firefox plugin that pretty much ironed out my flash issues on natty.

Comment

I had the same problem on my computer.

I recently upgraded to 11.04 Natty Narwhal from 10.10 Maverick Meerkat through KPackageKit. My 10.10-installation was 64-bit, and so I assume the 11.04-upgrade continued 64-bit.

The real problem in my case was that the newest stable version of Adobe Flash Player (10.3.181.14) is not 64-bit compatible, and therefore Mozilla Firefox automatically disabled the flash-plugin. First I discovered that the plugin wasn't loaded in Mozilla Firefox at all. To check this, open a new tab in Mozilla Firefox (assuming that you are using Mozilla Firefox), and type the URL:

"aboutlugins" (without "")

Now you should see a list of all active plugins and associated filetypes. If the Adobe Flash Player plugin is loaded, it should be present here, usually at the bottom of the screen, with the filetypes swf and spl associated. If it is not present, then the plugin is deactivated or not loaded.

At the top of the screen, there are a few links. One of them should look something like this (translated from Norwegian):
      Find updates to installed plug-in's at http://www.mozilla.com/plugincheck
      Click on the link, and you will be directed to a Mozilla-page which will check all of your plugins, and give a report on their status. Some of your plugins will be claimed to be "Outdated version" but you should ignore that, because the KPackageKit Software Updater (the gear with a green arrow in the system tray) normally should be a better way of keeping your system up-to-date.

In my case, this page claimed that my Adobe Flash-plugin was outdated and automatically disabled due to safety reasons, and suggested that I should get an upgrade from Adobe, presenting me this page:

"http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/"

Now look carefully at the yellow frame down on the page, which says:
      64-bit users: Download a preview release of Flash Player with native support for 64-bit Linux from Adobe Labs.
      This means that there are no stable version of Adobe Flash Player available for 64-bit, only a test-version for development-use, which is not guaranteed to work properly. So for now, you will have to use this one at your own risk. To do this, you will have to do the following:

- Open KPackageKit (K-Menu -> Type "KPackageKit" and hit enter)
      - Search for "flash"
      - Click the "Remove"-button on the flash-player entry from Adobe. (If it is not removed allready.)
      - Click the "use"-button at the bottom of the screen.
      - Type your password, wait for KPackageKit to finish and close it.
      Now:
      - Go to the Adobe-page again, and follow the link suggested in the yellow frame.
      - Click the link "Download Flash player "Square"".
      - Click the link "Download plug-in for 64-bit Linux (TAR.GZ, 4.1 MB)"
      - Save the file and unpack it.
      - Login as superuser in a way you prefer (for example typing "kdesu dolphin" in the K-menu, or by using a terminal and typing "sudo su -")
      - Copy the file "libflashplayer.so" to the plugins-directory of your browser (in my case it was /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but it may differ depending on your system)
      - Close all web-browser-windows and restart your web-browser.
      - Try "aboutlugins" again, and check if the plugin is loaded.
      - Try any web-page that requires flash-player, and see if it works.

For other web-browsers:
      The procedure should be the same, but the file "libflashplayer.so" should go to the plugins-directory of the web-browser you are using. Refer to the documentation of your web-browser to find the correct directory.

Remember:
      If Mozilla Firefox should run unstable for any reason, you may deacitvate flash manually:
      In Mozilla Firefox:
      - "Tools-menu" -> "Extensions" (I suppose, because I don't have an English version) -> "Plug-ins"
      - Deactivate "Shockwave Flash"

And also remember:
      - Your flash-player will never be automatically updated this way, so will have to install updates manually if any should be required.
      - You are now using Adobe Flash Player AT YOUR OWN RISK, which means that there are no guarantees that it will not slow your system down, crash your system, or cause dataloss.

Please give me feedback if this was of any help for anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by KerrMD
        I am unsure as to whether or not this will help but I use "Flash=Aid". It's a firefox plugin that pretty much ironed out my flash issues on natty.
        Thank you I have used the native flash of adobe with Kubuntu 11.04 64bit. And this is a terrible combination. Lots of crashes of Kubuntu and flickering youtube movies in firefox, chrome, opera. The achiles heel of Kubuntu 64 bit. A lot of problems seems te be dissapeared.

Comment

Originally posted by |_aban
          I had the same problem on my computer.

I recently upgraded to 11.04 Natty Narwhal from 10.10 Maverick Meerkat through KPackageKit. My 10.10-installation was 64-bit, and so I assume the 11.04-upgrade continued 64-bit.

The real problem in my case was that the newest stable version of Adobe Flash Player (10.3.181.14) is not 64-bit compatible, and therefore Mozilla Firefox automatically disabled the flash-plugin. First I discovered that the plugin wasn't loaded in Mozilla Firefox at all. To check this, open a new tab in Mozilla Firefox (assuming that you are using Mozilla Firefox), and type the URL:

"aboutlugins" (without "")

Now you should see a list of all active plugins and associated filetypes. If the Adobe Flash Player plugin is loaded, it should be present here, usually at the bottom of the screen, with the filetypes swf and spl associated. If it is not present, then the plugin is deactivated or not loaded.

At the top of the screen, there are a few links. One of them should look something like this (translated from Norwegian):
          Find updates to installed plug-in's at http://www.mozilla.com/plugincheck
          Click on the link, and you will be directed to a Mozilla-page which will check all of your plugins, and give a report on their status. Some of your plugins will be claimed to be "Outdated version" but you should ignore that, because the KPackageKit Software Updater (the gear with a green arrow in the system tray) normally should be a better way of keeping your system up-to-date.

In my case, this page claimed that my Adobe Flash-plugin was outdated and automatically disabled due to safety reasons, and suggested that I should get an upgrade from Adobe, presenting me this page:

"http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/"

Now look carefully at the yellow frame down on the page, which says:
          64-bit users: Download a preview release of Flash Player with native support for 64-bit Linux from Adobe Labs.
          This means that there are no stable version of Adobe Flash Player available for 64-bit, only a test-version for development-use, which is not guaranteed to work properly. So for now, you will have to use this one at your own risk. To do this, you will have to do the following:

- Open KPackageKit (K-Menu -> Type "KPackageKit" and hit enter)
          - Search for "flash"
          - Click the "Remove"-button on the flash-player entry from Adobe. (If it is not removed allready.)
          - Click the "use"-button at the bottom of the screen.
          - Type your password, wait for KPackageKit to finish and close it.
          Now:
          - Go to the Adobe-page again, and follow the link suggested in the yellow frame.
          - Click the link "Download Flash player "Square"".
          - Click the link "Download plug-in for 64-bit Linux (TAR.GZ, 4.1 MB)"
          - Save the file and unpack it.
          - Login as superuser in a way you prefer (for example typing "kdesu dolphin" in the K-menu, or by using a terminal and typing "sudo su -")
          - Copy the file "libflashplayer.so" to the plugins-directory of your browser (in my case it was /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but it may differ depending on your system)
          - Close all web-browser-windows and restart your web-browser.
          - Try "aboutlugins" again, and check if the plugin is loaded.
          - Try any web-page that requires flash-player, and see if it works.

For other web-browsers:
          The procedure should be the same, but the file "libflashplayer.so" should go to the plugins-directory of the web-browser you are using. Refer to the documentation of your web-browser to find the correct directory.

Remember:
          If Mozilla Firefox should run unstable for any reason, you may deacitvate flash manually:
          In Mozilla Firefox:
          - "Tools-menu" -> "Extensions" (I suppose, because I don't have an English version) -> "Plug-ins"
          - Deactivate "Shockwave Flash"

And also remember:
          - Your flash-player will never be automatically updated this way, so will have to install updates manually if any should be required.
          - You are now using Adobe Flash Player AT YOUR OWN RISK, which means that there are no guarantees that it will not slow your system down, crash your system, or cause dataloss.

Please give me feedback if this was of any help for anyone...
          perfect...
          Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Thanks |_aban that worked. I tend to use reconq so I also followed this post:
            http://thegeekylinux.blogspot.com/20...player-64.html

Seem to have a bigger problem with nspluginwrapper not working preventing other packages from updating but am following that on another thread.

Thanks agian for the detailed instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by ntuple
              Seem to have a bigger problem with nspluginwrapper not working preventing other packages from updating but am following that on another thread.
              I found this bug report, started after your other thread began:
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/796876
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X