This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to install NVidia drivers from command line

I finally got Natty working but screen resolution was wrong.

Jockey showed that NVIDIA driver was installed but not in use.

I deleted so I could try to reinstall, and then accidentally rebooted before I was finished reinstalling. Now X won't work.

Sorry for the basic question, but what's the easiest way to install the NVidia driver - maybe the 185 one? - from command line. I found a few wiki but most involve a FTP download which keeps timing out on me, please help.

Re: Need to install NVidia drivers from command line

Unfortunately, it is not that simple, because Kubuntu has been including the nouveau driver as the default video driver for Nvidia hardware. So not only do you have to rip out the nvidia-glx family of packages, but also the nouveau driver, and maybe update the initramfs, all prior to installing the downloaded proprietary driver.

If your system is brand new and you don't have much time invested in configuring it to your taste, I would seriously consider just reinstalling Kubuntu, and then do what you intended to do, without the boo-boo.

However, if you wish to go the route of the downloaded proprietary driver, which does offer you the opportunity to get the latest version, then this guide should provide the needed information: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Comment

Is it not possible these days to just apt-get install nvidia-current? I thought the 270.x drivers had been added to the base repo.

And reading the ubuntu documentation here you can get version 185 that way too.

That said, listen to dibl, he knows what he's talking about and his threads helped me sort out all manner of nvidia-related problems back in the day.
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge
        Is it not possible these days to just apt-get install nvidia-current
        I was wondering about that too.

nvidia-current (270.41.06-0ubuntu1) [restricted]
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge
          Is it not possible these days to just apt-get install nvidia-current?
          Yes, I would definitely first try to enable the x-swat repo and install the nvidia-current package -- that is the second choice on the guideline I linked. Sorry, I didn't make that very clear.

Comment

FYI - the current nvidia-current package from xswat automatically installs a blacklist for nouveau, so that basic conflict is now resolved. It is working very smoothly at this point.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
            X