X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA on NATTY ....w/ COMPIZ with Emerald

Ok,
    I like to think of myself as an old hat when it comes to this stuff as I've been using Ubuntu and Kubuntu since 6.04 but this time I'm stuck in the never ending NVIDIA wormhole.

I have been using this Install since 8.10 doing the updates with the system as opposed to fresh. I did the 11.04 auto update yesterday and have been stuck since trying to sort out what is up with my NVIDIA.

I'm running a GEOFORCE 8500 GT
    when I go to the system- additional drivers it says "Driver is activated but not currently in use. "

If I run glxgears from a terminal ... it runs fine .....

BUT if i try to run emerald I get "Segmentation Fault"

if I run Compiz I get
    -compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.

I've never ever had to run compiz --replace ..... but when I do it makes x so unstable it might as well have crashed

I have un-installed and re-installed nvidia-common ..... I have also tried installing the NVIDIA drivers from the nvidia web site ....( which did nothing but give a second copy of the NVIDIA settings manager)

I'm completely lost at this point...

HELP

t

Re: NVIDIA on NATTY ....w/ COMPIZ with Emerald

Im going to completely get on your wrong side here....please don't throw too many bric-bats!

But...i saw the same message.... and did this and that and nada....

What I then did, and remember i'm not to bright, was to click the LOWER driver, the one "not in use" but the one I wanted and then clicked to "activate install" it and it went ok.

It might be something in the "presentation" of the installer box, don't know.

I know you probably already DID that but, just thought i would mention it after perusing your post.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

well actually I did do that, didn't do anything but run shakey ..... and it was the "Upper" driver ... 173 .... which is a down grade from what I have .... I believe 185 ..... anyway .... went back to the recommended ...

Comment

and its still not working

Comment

emerald doesn't play nice with the version of compiz in Natty - if you want to run an emerald theme you'll need to either downgrade compiz (not recommended) or install smaragd like this -

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131/ppa

then

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kwin-style-smaragd

then insure your emerald theme is extracted into ~/.emerald/theme, open systemsettings --> appearance --> style --> workspace and set your theme to 'smaragd'. Your emerald theme should be applied then.

cheers -

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

ok ..... what about compiz?

Comment

Originally posted by coacharnold
              ok ..... what about compiz?
              Just don't run it. smaragd runs under kwin.
              -- anais nin

Comment

SO ARE WE SAYING THAT Compiz with Emerald no longer runs on KUBUNTU??

Comment

SO ARE WE SAYING THAT Compiz with Emerald no longer runs on KUBUNTU??
                  Yup

emerald hasn't been actively developed for quite some time. It works with Maverick and earlier but it segfaults with the version of compiz that comes with Natty (v0.9.2).

So - you either downgrade compiz to v0.8.6 (not recommended because there are a lot of dependencies that also have to change) or you run smaragd under kwin if you want to run an emerald theme.

I used to run emerald with KDE - until Natty came out, that is. smaragd works pretty well and the developer is a fairly regular poster here.

I heard over on the Ubuntu forums that you can compile emerald from git and get it to work - and there is a patched version of emerald available on launchpad here -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ld/+bug/726229

but neither is a supported solution.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

ok, I understand .... I didn't know what smaragd was ..... but more to the point .....my post compiz doesn't work either ....

Comment

ok, I understand .... I didn't know what smaragd was ..... but more to the point .....my post compiz doesn't work either ....
                      To be honest I moved back over to Debian shortly after Natty came out as there were one or two things I needed that were broken in Natty. I did a clean install of Natty (blew away my home partition as well) and compiz worked just fine but I had the same emerald problem you and everybody else did - and I really liked my emerald theme

You could try renaming ~/.kde or maybe create a new user just to see if the problem is with your profile as compiz did work for me on a clean install and seems to work fine for quite a few Ubuntu users.

I think I'd try creating a new user just for fun so you don't have to rename your own profile. If compiz works for a new user the problem is your profile - if it doesn't work the problem is something else.

compiz not working is a separate issue from emerald not working, though. compiz should work just fine.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                      X