This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPI Fix?

I am new to Kubuntu and need to fix my dpi on my KDE 4.4.5 desktop on a 32 inch LCD. Using Debian I would go to init 3 and log in as root or su and type command: fix-dpi-kdm

How is this done with Kubuntu 11.04?

Re: DPI Fix?

I installed Kubuntu 11.04 onto a pc attached to a 32 inch LCD and the fonts are too small
    to read. In Debian I fixed this problem by typing in a terminal fix-fonts-kdm and it was fixed.
    Is there a fix in Kubuntu?

Comment

Go to System settings/ Appearance of programs/ Fonts.

(Or similar, this is translated from a Dutch system.)

Comment

Thankyou for your reply. The problem is I can't read any of the text on my KDE desktop because it is so tiny.
        In debian, I can go to terminal, hit ctrl+alt+f3 and now can read the text. Then, as su I can type: fix-dpi-kdm and this automatically corrects the font problem. My problem is Kubuntu 11.04 terminal does not recognise this debian command for some reason, so I was wondering if there is an alternative statement.

Comment

fix-dpi-kdm was a shell script written for KDE 3, that's why you can't find it for versions of Kubuntu using KDE 4. I located a copy of the script here, but it will not work 'as is' in a KDE 4 environment. Just changing the kde3 references to kde4 won't work either, as certain items being referenced in the script don't exist (anymore).

If memory serves me, I believe the 'solution' is a change (or addition) to the /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc file.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

have you tried changed the dpi setting in system settings->application apperance -> font? if that don't do it , you can select a larger font size since the 9pt font used by default is a bit small if your a few feet away from the screen.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will try the above recommendations.

Comment

Providing the 3D effects are working you can zoom in using Meta with +.
                Then you might be able to read enough to get into the system settings.
                Meta with 0 (zero) will reset the zoom.

Comment

The contents and structure of /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc seems to have changed somewhat in natty, else I would have suggested you modify the line ServerArgsLocal (adding -dpi 96) to spell out like thus;

Code:
                  ServerArgsLocal=-nr -nolisten tcp -dpi 96
                  No such line exist anymore though, but I do find an /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc file with similar content. After similar modification it would look like this;

Code:
                  #!/bin/sh

exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -dpi 96 "$@"
                  Either or neither may work. :3
                  KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorael
                    Code:
                    ServerArgsLocal=-nr -nolisten tcp -dpi 96
                    No such line exist anymore...
                    It does in my Natty:
                    paul@tanagra:~$ grep ServerArgsLocal /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
                    ServerArgsLocal=-nr -nolisten tcp
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X