This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] wlan weirdness - slow after upgrade to Natty

Since updating to Natty using the distro update tool in package manager, I'm noticing severe slow-down of my wlan.

I have an internal tplink card using an atheros chipset, running a 2.4ghz band 11N connection to the router. Natty has given this the ath9k driver, which I think is what Maverick gave it too.

Thing is, in Maverick I was seeing xfer speeds over the wlan to my server via FTP of up to about 10MB/s. Now I'm lucky to get over 2MB/s.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

I have a bunch of other weird problems that I will post in their own threads.

Thanks
    --
    Intocabile

Re: wlan weirdness

Yup, I was having a transfer of a whopping 0,5 with samba a week ago on ath9. Not that I was averaging a lot better prior to that, but still. Internet download speeds have stood strong so far.

Comment

I am still perplexed by this.
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

If your kernel is *.38 then this might help:
        Create a file called
        /etc/modprobe.d/ath9.conf

in this file enter this
        options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

Reboot or reload the module and enjoy high speed again.
        Otherwise, you may have to use iwconfig to set your speed. From "man iwconfig":
        rate/bit[rate]
        For cards supporting multiple bit rates, set the bit-rate in b/s. The bit-rate is the speed at which bits are transmitted over the medium, the user speed of the link is lower due to medium sharing and various overhead.
        You may append the suffix k, M or G to the value (decimal multiplier : 10^3, 10^6 and 10^9 b/s), or add enough '0'. Values below 1000 are card specific, usually an index in the bit-rate list. Use auto to select automatic bit-rate mode (fallback to lower rate on noisy channels), which is the default for most cards, and fixed to revert back to fixed setting. If you specify a bit-rate value and append auto, the driver will use all bit-rates lower and equal than this value.
        Examples :
        iwconfig eth0 rate 11M
        iwconfig eth0 rate auto
        iwconfig eth0 rate 5.5M auto
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

And there we have it!

Great stuff thanks, GreyGeek. I created the file as suggested and have my wlan speed back.
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

Working...
          X