This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to 11.04 leads to grub command line only

Having upgraded with no problems on 2 other boxes, I went for my HP Netbook. About 2/3 through the "cleanup" phase (according to the visible progress bar), I got a little msg window at the screen bottom telling me that a reboot was needed to complete the upgrade (or something like that). I clicked the offered "reboot now" button, and that led to a text-only screen with this at the top: "GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5", some minimal instructions, and a "grub>" command line. I have no idea what to do with this.

I should possibly mention that this is a dual boot box (Windows/Kubuntu), and I'm running Kubuntu with a swap, root, and useraccount (/home) partition - exactly as I do on my other two boxes. I'm hoping not to have to load 11.04 from scratch now that this has happened, but don't know what I can do at this point.

All suggestions most welcome.

Re: upgrade to 11.04 leads to grub command line only

Looks like it has lost track of where the kernel image is located. I would think the simplest approach might be to re-install Grub from a Live CD, making sure to "point" it to the partition where your Linux system is installed.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

You're needing the information in Section 3.

Comment

Thanks! I was rather thinking that I was having most likely a grup-only problem, but I don't much trust my thoughts about such things. Yours, however, I'll run with...!

Comment

That was a very bad idea. I'd almost done the same Luckily for me I realized that upgrade was not yet complete. In your case I would:
        1. boot up from Live CD/DVD
        2. use chroot to access my old system
        3. try running apt to clean up the mess
        Probably your grub configuration is damaged. I noticed that during the cleanup phase, kpackagekit was messing around a lot with grub by removing all of my old kernels one by one and generating nvidia drivers with new the initrd image during each change. You probably interrupted the process.
        I would try method 3 up to point 7: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...0from%20LiveCD (just mount the old system and launch apt/dpk to finish the upgrade).

Comment

After my upgrade using distro upgrade in package manager, I had the same problem. Reboot, grub recovery with a message about some missing thing or other.

I fixed it by booting off my 10.10 install CD and running it live.

Open a terminal, mount your regular / to /mount and then run install-grub onto it.

Worked for me.
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

I allowed the upgrade to complete and still had the same problems

reinstall grub while running from the live CD worked for me

Comment

Sorry guys. Your suggestions either overwhelm me with detail or are too general (assuming I already know things I don't). I'm in over my head. Going to simply do a fresh install. I could have done a couple of those in the time I've been spinning my wheels trying to fix this.

However, other folks may well benefit from your suggestions.

So...do we have a bug in the install process? Should this not be happening? Well, if so, someone who know how will have to report it. I've already blown 4 hours on this which I didn't have. Gotta get this thing working...

Thanks for the response. Always appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X