This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to one of two identical Wifi networks

A friend has a LinkSys router which recently had its configuration reset to ESSID="linksys" on Channel 6 with no encryption. Unfortunately a neighbor also has a router with the "linksys" ESSID also on Channel 6, but with encryption turned on. Some of the devices in my friend's household (iPod-Touch, Apple laptop and a newer Windows laptop) were able to connect to the local linksys network without problems, but an older Windows laptop and my Kubuntu 11.04 system could not connect until I changed the router's ESSID. The evidence I collected before doing that showed that KNetworkManager was trying to connect to the neighbor's router, despite it having a lower signal level. At no time did the GUI software indicate the presence of a second network with the same name, and this might actually be bringing more than one bug to light, which I would report if I knew where to send it to. See the attachment for my evidence.

I don't have the spare equipment to reproduce this problem again myself now that I've fixed the friend's router settings, but hopefully someone else will be able to do so; I'm sure this is likely to be a fairly common occurrence which Apple at least have solved.
    Attached Files
Working...
X