X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NA by upgrade to 11.10] Odd wireless behaviour

My wireless is acting really odd.

Keep in mind that in all of these scenarios, I am able to log into the wire systems using windows.

1) When I'm at home, I can link to my Kubuntu wireless no problem. Skype, dropbox etc work fine. However, when I start up any browser (firefox chrome) I get a few pages into clicking around and the browsers crash repeatedly.

2) When I'm at the University in the library, the Kubuntu wireless gets hung up on the 'obtaining IP address stage' (like I said before, wireless on windows works fine). Obviously I have no wireless at all.

3) When I'm at my office (at the University) the wireless works great on Kubuntu - no issues whatsoever (I'm on the same named network - but obviously a different wireless transmitter because I'm 2000 ft away).

I'm using Wicd client for KDE. Any ideas? I'm getting really annoyed having to use Windows at home! I like to stay in a single operating system. Less clutter in my brain and file systems.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Odd wireless behaviour

check this link and make sure you have all of the network-manager parts removed as they will conflict with wicd .

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114190.0

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ok great - I'll give that a shot when I get home and have access to a wired access point.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tweev
        Ok great - I'll give that a shot when I get home and have access to a wired access point.

Thanks!
        I'm going to have to wait until I'm finished a few projects before I attempt this. At least with my wireless working at work I can get stuff done. If you suggestion does happen to kill my work wireless I'll be U.S.C. without a paddle.

Thanks! I'll post at the end of the month whether this solved it or not.

Comment

2) When I'm at the University in the library, the Kubuntu wireless gets hung up on the 'obtaining IP address stage' (like I said before, wireless on windows works fine). Obviously I have no wireless at all.
          i have this "issue" when using my cell phone's wifi connection sharing. after a bit of hair pulling i on a whim changed the "mode" to ad-hoc . you can do this by editing the connection. the other day out internet connection was completely out , so i let a few ppl also connect to the phone so they could have internet as it turns out those with windows machines were able to connect with out setting the mode to ad-hoc.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

When you are really desperate you could try connecting via the CLI:
            http://www.prupert.co.uk/2010/06/25/...mand-line-cli/
            It works and as usual gives a better clue when things don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
              check this link and make sure you have all of the network-manager parts removed as they will conflict with wicd .

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114190.0

VINNY
              Arg, I tried that and it didn't help at all. This is really frustrating. I'm getting really frustrated having to jump back and forth operating systems. Now to make matters worse, the wireless has stopped working at work... Fresh install? That's all I can think of doing at this point...........

Comment

I just did a fresh install. I followed the link above to remove all of network manager and put in wicd.

So I have wicd exclusively now but I am still experiencing that odd behavior. I haven't changed any drivers or anything since the fresh install.

Here are my wireless details:

*-network
                description: Wireless interface
                product: BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
                vendor: Broadcom Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:12:00.0
                logical name: wlan0
                version: 01
                serial: c0:cb:38:01:6a:0f
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcm80211 driverversion=2.6.38-11-generic-pae firmware=N/A ip=142.104.121.240 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

Any ideas?

Comment

This does indeed look strange.

You say you haven't installed any new drivers since the install. However, have you looked in the "additional drivers" section (kmenu/applications/system/additional drivers) as this card seems to require the proprietary Broadcom driver, ("STA"). This can be downloaded, installed and activated from within the additional drivers section. If it is needed it will tell you there.
                  If that doesn't do it here is also this thread here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10057878

I don't know to be honest whether it will help or not but it' must be worth checking.

HTH

ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

I've installed the broadcom driver as you suggested. I'm pretty sure I did that before but it didn't seem to help. The good news is my wireless here at work is working fine. I'll check it tonight to see if it works at home.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me a hand. I really appreciate it.
                    Cheers,
                    Carl

Comment

Glad you are up and running (at least for now - lets see how you get on!) - Are you in the library or at the office?

Comment

Blurg, I spoke too soon. I did a reboot because I was playing with the video drivers and with the Broadcom driver enabled then the wireless can't 'see' any networks.

I disabled the Broadcom driver and although I can now see the wireless networks I get a 'Connection Failed: Unable to Get IP Address'. Annoying.

Hopefully I can look more deeply into it tonight. If you (or anyone!) has any ideas I would be great full.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Tried this and no luck:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3994#msg203994

Comment

Hmmm... I tried reinstalling the broadcom driver and there was an error (couldn't find some file). Now when I try to boot up (even in safe mode) my computer hangs with the 'A' and 'down arrow' lights flashing......

Not sure what to do at this point besides going back to 10.04.

Comment

So I'm pretty sure the issue is I need to install the latest and greatest broadcom driver. I've started a new thread asking for a bit of help with that.

Weird how the conflict seems to be with the browsers - dropbox seems fine (although I guess it's less dynamic). Skype seems a bit iffy.

Any help would be appreciated.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X