X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help accessing Network Manager again after a mistaken uninstall

Hi,
    So I've been having networking problems and in a sad attempt to fix my broken networking abilities, I accidentally uninstalled network manager. I believe I have network manager reinstalled now, but I no longer have the icon on my toolbar to open the program up and see available wifi connections, etc. Could anyone help me (1) confirm that I do indeed have network manager back, and (2) help me either get my little icon back too so I could manage my wifi, or tell me if there is a way to open up a GUI for Network Manager thru the command line? I'm unclear as to whether the applet/widget is the only way to use GUI to deal with Network Manager.

Thanks for any help!
    System Information<br />Distro: Ubuntu 11.04<br />KDE: Platform Version 4.6.2<br />Grub: 0.97-29ubuntu61.1 GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)<br /><br />PC Hardware:<br />laptop HP Pavilion dv6<br />CPU: AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor<br />GPU: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]

Re: Need help accessing Network Manager again after a mistaken uninstall

Update: I've found KNetworkManager under Applications > Settings, but when I try to open this application, nothing happens?
    System Information<br />Distro: Ubuntu 11.04<br />KDE: Platform Version 4.6.2<br />Grub: 0.97-29ubuntu61.1 GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)<br /><br />PC Hardware:<br />laptop HP Pavilion dv6<br />CPU: AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor<br />GPU: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]

Comment

Check for the tray icon settings to see if it is available to be re-added:
      rightclick on the arrow on the right side of the system tray
      Select System Tray Settings
      Under "extra items" make sure network management is available, and checked

Comment

Would adding the Network Manager widget to the panel help anything if Network Manager is not responding when I go the long way to open it under Applications? Also my system tray doesnt have an arrow, it has a yellow swirl thing the "panel tool box", and none of the settings options I have include "extra items"

Comment

that yellow thingy (the 'cashew') is for the entire panel, yout system tray is a plasma widget that resides in that panel.

The arrow to show/hide hidden icons in the systray is to the very right of the tray, just to the left of the clock widget in a stock Kubuntu setup.

Attached Files

Comment

Ah thanks for your help claydoh. I can see my network manager in the toolbar now.

Comment

Working...
            X