This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wifi stopped working suddenly, plus funny ethernet message - SOLVED

(I posted this problem in the Ubuntu forum, before realising it was more sensible to ask for help here)

I run Kubuntu 11.04 on a Dell, with a Broadcomm BCM4312 (14e4:4315) card. I installed Kubuntu several weeks ago, and wifi worked (after a few hiccups). It's worked since, no problems.

Yesterday it seemed to slow down - response times became very bad on occasion (but that could just be co-incidence). Then I had problems sending printer files to a wifi printer - it only sent part of the file - then it stopped entirely.

It (Network Manager) said "Wireless disabled by hardware". When I dual-booted into W7, wifi worked perfectly, so I assume I haven't accidentally switched the wifi off.

So, I connected by Ethernet cable. Network Manager said "Cable unplugged", but it's working........

The Network Manager module is as supplied on the CD, and the driver is the STA - "activated and currently in use"

I've searched the forum, but the posts I find refer to wifi not working at all, or after an upgrade. All I've done to my system, other than install the (daily) updates, is add some programs (eg Chromium)

Any help will be appreciated

EDIT. Found a thread in Ubuntu Forum General Help - same problem. Solution was more updates, so as instructed did "sudo apt-get update" && "sudo apt-get upgrade". SUCCESS
Working...
X