This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 3g dongle with WCID

Does anyone know how to get a 3g usb dongle to work with wcid? I installed wcid in place of the knetwork manager a while ago and although it has been working fine, I've just noticed while away from home that there doesn't appear to be an option for a 3g dongle.
    Kubuntu 15.10

Re: Using 3g dongle with WCID

Have done a little bit of googling and it would appear that there is no support for 3g dongles in WCID, unless anyone knows otherwise.

That's not exactly what I wanted to here as now I'm going to have to remove WCID and try and reinstall Knetwork Manager.
    Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

The problem is not likely wicd, which is just a frontend for your network interfaces and supporting drivers -- the problem is probably lack of a Linux driver for your dongle. Google the model number and "linux driver" and see what you can find that way.

Comment

Have had a Google and so far have been unable to find a Linux driver for my Huawei K3565 HSDPA USB stick.

I did find something detailing 'WvDial' which would appear to enable setting up a connection through a 3G dongle at:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7163458_set-...gle-linux.html

WvDial is in Kpackagekit, if I can't find anything else I may just give this a try.

In Ubuntu the network manager picked this up and a configuration wizard talked you through setting up your mobile 3G connection. This option is not available in WCID, I'm not sure if it was in Knetwork Manager as I never got round to trying it when I had that installed.
        Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Working...
        X