This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] wicd WPA password not accepted

I upgraded from Kubuntu 9.x to 11.04 on my laptop. All went well except when I tried to make
    a wireless connection at home. I have a WPA protocol that is password protected. When I ran wicd
    the password was not accepted. When I tried the laptop at work, where the connection is also
    WPA password protected, my authentication was rejected there too.

To enter my password, I click on the 'Properties' button in the wicd client and then I enter the
    password and select 'WPA (1/2) password', which I assume is correct for a WPA channel.

At both sites, I know I have a good, solid wireless signal.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Anderson

Re: wicd WPA password not accepted

This normally happens with wicd when there are still networkmanager components installed. Can you post the output of

dpkg -l | grep network

Here's what to look for - anything that's installed will have an 'ii' in the left column, while components that are not installed will have an 'rc' there.

Any networkmanager component that's still installed will need to be removed for wicd to work. Mine looks like this -

wizard@wizard-netbook:~$ dpkg -l | grep network
    ii avahi-autoipd 0.6.30-0ubuntu2 Avahi IPv4LL network address configuration daemon
    ii glib-networking 2.28.6.1-0ubuntu1 network-related giomodules for GLib
    ii ifupdown 0.6.10ubuntu4 high level tools to configure network interfaces
    ii iproute 20100519-3 networking and traffic control tools
    ii iputils-ping 3:20100418-3ubuntu1 Tools to test the reachability of network hosts
    ii iputils-tracepath 3:20100418-3ubuntu1 Tools to trace the network path to a remote host
    ii kdenetwork-filesharing 4:4.6.5-0ubuntu1~ppa1 network filesharing configuration module
    ii libnm-glib-vpn1 0.8.4~git.20110319t175609.d14809b-0ubuntu3 network management framework (GLib VPN shared library)
    ii libnm-glib2 0.8.4~git.20110319t175609.d14809b-0ubuntu3 network management framework (GLib shared library)
    ii libnm-util1 0.8.4~git.20110319t175609.d14809b-0ubuntu3 network management framework (shared library)
    ii libqt4-network 4:4.7.2-0ubuntu6.2 Qt 4 network module
    ii libqtscript4-network 0.1.0-3ubuntu3 Qt Script bindings for the Qt 4 Network library
    ii libsolidcontrol4a 4:4.6.5-0ubuntu1~ppa1 library for Solid based network management
    ii libsolidcontrolifaces4a 4:4.6.5-0ubuntu1~ppa1 library for Solid based network interface management
    ii net-tools 1.60-23ubuntu3 The NET-3 networking toolkit
    ii netbase 4.45ubuntu1 Basic TCP/IP networking system
    rc network-manager 0.8.4~git.20110319t175609.d14809b-0ubuntu3 network management framework daemon
    rc network-manager-pptp 0.8.1+git.20110207t142407.7e1d989-0ubuntu1 network management framework (PPTP plugin)
    rc plasma-widget-networkmanagement 0.9~svngit20110408-0ubuntu2 Network Management widget for KDE4 Plasma
    ii python-wicd 1.7.0+ds1-6 wired and wireless network manager - Python module
    ii tcpdump 4.1.1-1ubuntu3 A powerful tool for network monitoring and data acquisition
    ii wicd 1.7.0+ds1-6 wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
    ii wicd-curses 1.7.0+ds1-6 wired and wireless network manager - Curses client
    ii wicd-daemon 1.7.0+ds1-6 wired and wireless network manager - daemon
    ii wicd-kde 0.2.1-4 Wired and wireless network manager - KDE client
    wizard@wizard-netbook:~$
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

In my past troubles with wpa, here are a few things I tried:

I should add that a few things I did find along the way...
      (Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01))

Code:

wpa_passphrase <essid> <password>

would give me an error with the password I had been trying to use for years... might have been a problem character... when I removed a ";" (i think) it then gave me a result. Note, that the old password worked fine on other devices.

I also configured my /etc/network/interfaces like so:

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
      iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      wpa-driver wext
      wpa-ssid MY-SSID
      wpa-ap-scan 1
      wpa-proto RSN
      wpa-pairwise CCMP
      wpa-group CCMP
      wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
      wpa-psk RESULT-FROM-ABOVE-COMMAND

from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834

And of course I am using Wicd.

No clue if any of that helped. I MIGHT have also played with some of the /etc/modprobe.d/ files... it's really been too long.

Edit: Oh yeah, I switched my router to only use Channel 6... I read that somewhere.

Edit2: I also change my router to "WPA2 ONLY" instead of "Auto" (WPA or WPA2)... I just read that change I maybe helped someone.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/344022

I should also say that although my router says I've got an n connection, its rate is less than a g connection... Undecided

Seems to be affecting others too...
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/298192
      http://osdir.com/ml/linux-wireless/2.../msg00059.html
      http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13141
      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=520535

...and I too can confirm that setting the router to "g and b only" results in full g speeds. Roll Eyes

Comment

Wizard, Thanks for the help. I did indeed have the network manager installed. I removed the network manager
        packages and the wireless came right up (at work). I'm betting it will work at home tonight too.

kjjjshab, Thanks for the suggestions. Since the wizard's suggestions worked, I did not have to follow up
        with your suggestions, but I was planning to.

Regards,
        Jim

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: wicd WPA password not accepted

Just marked the Subject as solved.

Jim

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] wicd WPA password not accepted

Excellent. Glad you got it sorted
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
            X