X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copied Files from Windows Don't show up in 11.04

This has me stumped.

My wife copied 299 pictures (BMP's and JPG's) over to a computer we use to share files from (runs Vista). Then from my 11.04 machine I access the directory, but notice that it only reports 173 files there.

From the wife's windows computer, she can see 299 files sitting on the Vista machine, but from my 11.04 machine I still can only see 173.

I'm trying to see a pattern or something, but it copied some big files, some files that end in .JPG (instead of .jpg).

Tried "show hidden files" but nothing extra came up.

Suggestions?

Re: Copied Files from Windows Don't show up in 11.04

In a console, run: sudo updatedb (to refresh the file database). Then see if those files now show up.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, that got it up to 261 files.

Comment

Did any of the copied files that aren't accounted for contain special characters (foreign)?

Comment

Is there a way to dump the contents of both directories into a spreadsheet, so then I could simply sort it and easily see what is missing? going line-by line isn't working.

Comment

you can use

ls > <file>

on a linux machine and

dir > <file>

on windows.

to output the dir to a text file.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              In a console, run: sudo updatedb (to refresh the file database). Then see if those files now show up.
              I was having a similar problem today... saved a pic from the web to use as a contact picture in gmail contacts, but when I would browse to the directory from firefox the new file wasn't there, even though it appeared in dolphin. The sudo updatedb fixed it, unless it fixed itself prior. I did restart firefox with no luck before trying Snowhog's tip.

Is there a setting somewhere as to how often the file database is refreshed?

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                Is there a setting somewhere as to how often the file database is refreshed?
                See Linux Question: When does updatedb.mlocat / cron.daily run?

Comment

Mmm...updatedb only updates the mlocate database /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db that is used for the locate command (the database is the reason why locate is much faster than find)...it should have no effect on which files are visible when browsing the filesystem (unless you're using 'locate' to find files, of course).

Comment

Working...
                  X