X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]wireless won't connect

Hello,

I have just updated to 11.04 and cannot get the wireless to connect.

I have looked at the other posts here but I am none the wiser.

My situation:

Network widget thingy tells me that I have 3 networks available.

alpina (my home network)
    <hidden network>
    alpina (again)

when I select an alpina and then Manage Connections I get the following:
    configuring interface
    and then;
    Secrets for alpina Kde daemon

all of the correct information is there already so I select OK

then a short while later it comes again (and I repeat the OK process and it comes again and again...)

I have noticed that it maybe a problem with the /etc/network/interfaces file, mine has the following in it:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto wlan0 (i put that in through a forum suggestion)

I am open to all suggestions. I noticed something about Wicd-kde, what is it, will it help and if so, how do I get it set up without an internet connection

John

Re: wireless won't connect

try these in order

1. remove that line you added from your /etc/network/interfaces file. (you need to reboot or restart the networking service after this).
    2. Restart ur router! (or just its wifi if u can).
    < did this work? if not continue down the list>
    3. from system settings->Network delete the settings for your wifi network .
    4. reboot (to be sure) and set up your wifi again.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply,

After steps 1 and 2, no change, but after 3 and 4 it works. What was that all about?

Thanks again.

John

Comment

Originally posted by plant17
        Thanks for the prompt reply,

After steps 1 and 2, no change, but after 3 and 4 it works. What was that all about?

Thanks again.

John
        im not sure but i have had to do that on ms.sith's laptop (archos wifi card btw) once of twice in the past. knetwork manager might have the issue or it could be part of the wallet system messing up. im not sure. but either way im glad to see your wifi is working again.

Comment

I spoke to soon,

I turned it on this morning and it went back to the same old thing. The <hidden network> had popped up again. And the "Secrets for alpina Kde daemon" business began again.

Now, even following the steps that worked yesterday, it won't work.

I had this comment from sithlord48:
          "knetwork manager might have the issue or it could be part of the wallet system messing up"

Yesterday when I went through it all the hidden network in my network status thingy was gone, it's back again, could this be a problem?

Any ideas? What can I do about it?

John

Comment

do exactly what you did last time. and when your online install wicd if knetworkmanager is giving you a hard time.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
              do exactly what you did last time. and when your online install wicd if knetworkmanager is giving you a hard time.
              This. I use wicd even on wired connections as IMO network-manager is awful.

wicd *should* remove all network-manager components but it doesn't always for some reason. If you install wicd and it doesn't connect do this -

sudo apt-get remove network-manager* plasma-widget-networkmanager

and wicd should work fine. Also, Natty has a kde client for wicd that works pretty well.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

I am not sure whether it is the knetmanager causing the problem or not. Something has changed since yesterday and I cannot figure it out. I followed the steps as above (same as yesterday) but this time with no success. I end up with the same old "Secrets for alpina Kde daemon" pop up, I press OK, it tries to connect and then pops up again.

According to my network monitor I go to "Configuring Interface" and then it goes to "waiting for authorisation" and then the pop up is back with the password.

Now since I cannot connect to the 'net, I cannot install wicd (or can I?).

John

Comment

...Now since I cannot connect to the 'net, I cannot install wicd (or can I?).
                  Not easily. I've done it (downloaded wicd and all its dependencies and installed it manually) but it ain't fun and you've pretty much gotta have a working machine close by to download all the stuff.

Is a wired connection an option just long enough to get wicd installed?
                  -- anais nin

Comment

A wired connection is difficult but not impossible. Before I go through the drama involved (a bit of heavy furniture rearrangement) what are the chances that this is my problem?

John

Comment

Probably you are doomed to the furniture-moving drama and a cable, to get wicd.

However, before you do that, try editing your /etc/network/interface file to read like this:

Code:
                      # The loopback network interface
                      auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
                      iface eth0 inet dhcp
                      After you save the edits, reboot and see if wireless is working any better. If not, time for wicd to the rescue!

Comment

A wired connection is difficult but not impossible. Before I go through the drama involved (a bit of heavy furniture rearrangement) what are the chances that this is my problem?
                        My not-completely-unbiased-opinion is that chances are good to excellent this is your problem, but then I don't even use network manager on wired connections. IMO it's kinda awful.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks for the help, now bear with me as we get to the tricky bit. I have had experience with fingering about in Kubuntu and making a balls up of it, so if you don't mind (whoever has the time and patience) please lead me step by step into Wicd.

I have opened the package manager and see the following:

python-wicd
                          wicd
                          wicd-cli
                          wicd-curses (I don't doubt shall be having a few of those soon)
                          wicd-daemon
                          wicd-gtk
                          wicd-kate

Which should I select? Or should I just go the whole hog and get the lot.

John

Comment

install wicd it should pull the rest of the stuff needed to make it work. you can start the applet w/ wicd-applet command after install just be sure to set you network backend to wicd. (im sure wizard can help you more )

the knetworkmanager vs. wicd issues is a long standing issue. knm works for me on all of my wireless machines. (im not counting wired cause i use the /etc/network/interfaces file to control them..) but its a hit or miss thing depending on your hardware it seams because some people can't use it at all and have to install wicd.

Comment

Most of those are dependencies on wicd and wicd will pull them in anyway but I believe Natty has wicd-kde available.

I'd just install wicd and wicd-kde - that'll give you everything you need.

-- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X