X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED :Disconnected network

Hi There

Newbie here,

I am dual booting Kubuntu 11.04 with windows xp and windows 7 (kubuntu on one hard drive on it's own and both windows xp and 7 on another hard drive,separate partitions), the thing is I used windows 7 to do some DVD work and a quick scout of the web for maybe an hour or so then shut down.

The next day I booted Kubuntu and my network was disconnected and i couldn't get it reconnected, thinking it was maybe a fault with the actual network on the motherboard i installed an old sweex network card i had lying around, switched on, booted linux which found it and hey presto back in business.

Everything ran okay for several days, then i booted windows 7 to download some stuff off my GPS and update my TOMTOM, when i had finished i rebooted into linux and now my second network card fails to connect.

Both networks are seen by linux but neither will connect, windows xp and 7 will use both networks no problem
    It seems that after I use WIN 7 the network cards fail in linux which makes no sense at all to me.

any help would be appreciated

Micky B

Re: Dissconnected network

I am going to make a guess that you are hooked to the network through a router or modem that is not releasing the DHCP address when you shut down Windows, and your Kubuntu is trying to connect using the same DHCP address, which is not available. Post the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    in a terminal window and let us see what that says.

Comment

Hi and thanks for your reply

You are right I am running through a router, it's a "BT Home Hub" Ive had the same setup for about 8-10 months without any issues
      this has only happened since I added Windows 7 to the setup (I should have known better really !), anyways heres the output you asked for.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:8c:85:b7:3f
      inet6 addr: fe80::224:8cff:fe85:b73f/64 Scope:Link
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:36 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:4944 (4.9 KB) TX bytes:8780 (8.7 KB)
      Interrupt:43

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:0a:08:22:57
      UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
      Interrupt:21 Base address:0x8c00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      RX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes:1600 (1.6 KB) TX bytes:1600 (1.6 KB)

vboxnet0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 0a:00:27:00:00:00
      BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Cheers, Micky B

Comment

Your computer is seeing both of your devices. Just to see if my guess is correct, reboot into Windows, find your internet connections and disable the active one, then open a command window and run
        Code:
        ipconfig /release
        . Then reboot to Kubuntu and see if your connection comes back.

Here is a page I just stumbled on that may contain some help.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials...rks-with-linux

Comment

SOLVED: Disconnected network

Hi There Detonate

You may have been right about the router not releasing the DHCP, so when I got back home I pressed the reset (not the restart) button on the router, resetting it back to factory default settings, switched on my computer and ta dah my network is back up and running.

Thanks for your help, I obviously didn't try the "ipconfig / release" command because my network was back up and running again before I read your reply, but I will try that one first if it happens again (BT routers take far to long to boot from cold or reset).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 22/05/2011

Same thing happend again so tried the ipconfig /release command, then rebooted linux and everything works okay so I made a shortcut to the command
          that i double click before I shutdown/reboot, ah peace at last.

Thanks again

Micky B

SOLVED

Comment

Working...
          X