X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No interfaces in NetworkManager

Hi all, this is my first post in here.

I'm intermediate linux user. I tried Kubuntu six moths ago; I wanted to be free from problems after package upgrades etc. It happened quite often when I used Debian unfortunately, now I'm using kubuntu and we may say that I'm happy, but maybe I get to the point.

Few days ago I upgraded to Natty. WiFi didn't work ethernet did. Jockey stated that the drivers are active. I decided to try installing them through aptitude. I installed b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer and it still didn't work. After reboot I removed those packages to try something different, but then all my networking was down. Network Manager works, but it doesn't list any interfaces. Ifconfig also lists only lo, there are no entries in /etc/network/interfaces connected to eth0 or wlan0. What is more when I turn my wifi off (hardware button) the notification pops up, that Wireless networking is disabled.. weird. I'm using Dell Vostro 1500, and my network card is Broadcom's, I always used B43 driver for it and it worked.

This is a bit annoying. I wish that was my fault, but if not, than someone did really poor job releasing kubuntu with a bug like that.

So, how to fix my system to show any interfaces? I add dmesg listing to this post.
    Attached Files

Re: No interfaces in NetworkManager

I've never gotten Network Manager to work reliably (and the problem persists into Natty).

I installed Wicd-kde (which is now integrated into System Settings once it is installed) and removed Network Manager (3 modules, including nm-framework).

I've never had problems with Wicd.

Then I use Kvpnc if I need to make VPN connections.

Some day the Kubuntu MOTU will make Wicd the default. It's been 3 versions (at least) that this problem has persisted.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Re: No interfaces in NetworkManager

Hopefully I managed to find out what was the problem
      For future, installing b43 drivers blacklists b44 driver which is responsible for networking. Enabling it solves the problem.

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X