X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Disabled in Software after update

Hello Everyone,

I am new on Linux. I used to have Kubuntu 10.04 Yesterday the software asked me for an update and after that. My wireless interface is disable. And every-time I try to check the enable wireless is became uncheck again. And I do have the possibility to go wired.

I have a laptop Gateway LT3201h.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 9602
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 41)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller (rev 40)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
    00:16.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:16.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
    01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200]
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    06:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

I tried

sudo service network-manager stop
    sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    sudo service network-manager start

After I did
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Did not work any of them

Someone can help me?

Re: Wireless Disabled in Software after update

I've never gotten Network Manager to work reliably (and the problem persists into Natty).

I installed Wicd-kde (which is now integrated into System Settings once it is installed) and removed Network Manager (3 modules, including nm-framework).

I've never had problems with Wicd.

Then I use Kvpnc if I need to make VPN connections.

Some day the Kubuntu MOTU will make Wicd the default. It's been 3 versions (at least) that this problem has persisted.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I'm running into a problem similar to this. After an upgrade to 11.04 from 10.10 the wireless on the HP netbook will be "unchecked". clicking the "enable wireless" box will cause the computer to instantly lock up, forcing a shutdown and reboot. I've been able to repeat the error three times now.

Fortunately, I'm able to connect wired, so I'm trying to see if there is any updates and/or drivers to fix this.

Comment

When I upgraded to Natty my wireless went, completely. I can click on the button turning the WIFI on/off and it will give me a notification that it was enabled/disabled every time. I removed KNetworkManager and installed WICD, no difference.
        lshw reports that the equipment is unassigned.
        A side issue is that the author for IQFIRE-wall, firewall software that I use, cannot load on to Natty because there is a problems with kernel headers installation.
        Are the two issues related??
        Is it because the WIFI failed at some point after Natty was mostly installed or what??
        Is it possible to re-upgrade to Natty using wired connection to solve this problem and is the fix guaranteed

Comment

I am assuming that you have checked under System > Administration > Hardware/Additional Drivers that there are no proprietory drivers required?

Another thought is that it [b]might[b] be worthwhile installing the linux-backports-modules package which does carry some ethernet fixes.

Comment

I have been watching this thread with interest because I have a similar experience with wireless bing disabled after upgrade. My lenovo laptop has the broadcom chip bcm 4313 and there does not seem to be a working linux driver with natty narwal. There is actually a long thread in ubuntu forums about the bcm 43xx issues under natty.
            Anyway I admit defeat and for the first time i will revert to 1010 to get my wireless working. I'll only consider upgrading once the issue is solved.

Comment

I did find out that if "lshw -C network" reports back that a network peripheral is "UNCLAIMED", then there is no driver loaded. I had to find the proprietary driver and enable it.
              Next, I found that WICD has to be started from "K" -> "Internet" -> WICD and is not found in the System Settings.

Comment

Working...
              X