This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless network failing with intel wifi link 1000 BGN

Hello I dont know if someone could help me. I just installed Natty and my wireless is dying after couple minutes. it still shows is connected but im not able to open any web page or connect to anywhere. This doesnt happe with Maverick as my wireless was always working. I dont know what happened with the new kernel version as driver suppose to be already included.

I have been googling but couldnt find anything but a bug that seems to be the same that it is happening to me. The bug number is 569445 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...da/+bug/569445

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Y460 with a Intel WIFI Link 1000 BGN. I really would appreciate any help as i really need my wireless in linux.

Re: Wireless network failing with intel wifi link 1000 BGN

One way to check your connection is to open a Konsole and issue;
    ping google.com

If you get back a listing of several return packets (use Ctl+C to cancel the command after 15 or 20 seconds):
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ ping google.com
    PING google.com (72.14.204.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from google.com (72.14.204.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=59.5 ms
    64 bytes from google.com (72.14.204.99): icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=54.9 ms
    64 bytes from google.com (72.14.204.99): icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=53.9 ms
    64 bytes from google.com (72.14.204.99): icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=55.4 ms
    64 bytes from google.com (72.14.204.99): icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=54.7 ms
    64 bytes from google.com (72.14.204.99): icmp_seq=6 ttl=48 time=55.0 ms
    ^C
    --- google.com ping statistics ---
    6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5006ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 53.994/55.628/59.555/1.834 ms
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$
    then your internet connection is working.

IF, on the other hand, no packets return then your connection is NOT working, regardless of what your wifi client thinks.

I run wicd as my client. If I turn my wireless modem off everynight, when I turn it on the next day and make a connection, sooner or later the connection will break. I notice it most easily on this forum ... click a URL and the spinning wheel never goes away. Pinging google.com sometimes gives returns. If it does I wait a minute or so and activity resumes. If I get no activity from pinging google.com then regardless of what wicd or the lights on my notebook or wifi say, the connection is hosed. I use wicd to disconnect and reconnect. That usually fixes it, although I have had the connection break two or three times in a day. When I leave my wifi modem on all the time I seldom get a disconnect.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Wireless network failing with intel wifi link 1000 BGN

I've never gotten Network Manager to work reliably (and the problem persists into Natty).

I installed Wicd-kde (which is now integrated into System Settings once it is installed) and removed Network Manager (3 modules, including nm-framework).

I've never had problems with Wicd.

Then I use Kvpnc if I need to make VPN connections.

Some day the Kubuntu MOTU will make Wicd the default. It's been 3 versions (at least) that this problem has persisted.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
      X