This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG flatscreen works in live cd, in install not so much

I have installed 11.04 on my wife's computer now. When I ran it as live cd everything was fine with the flatscreen, but when I installed to hard drive the flatscreen is just about unusable.
    At session startup (where the icons show the drives, and settings, etc.), the drive icon is good, but the rest of the icons flicker. Then the 'startup sound' plays and I click on the start(kicker) button, and whatever I click on does not appear, I move the cursor to where I think the application is and the screen flickers and I can briefly see what should be there, or it appears to have started multiple instances.
    So, I installed Fedora 16 kde desktop, and it works fine in live cd and installed to hd. I somehow found the monitor specs that fedora used -
    Vendor - Tungsten Graphicws, Model = mesa dri intel(r) 865g.
    I thought I could write the xorg.conf to a usb drive, then install kubuntu 11.04, and copy xorg.conf and see what happens. However, I can't find where xorg.conf should be, and googling xorg.conf I can only find that xorg.conf is no longer used (but I could create one if I wanted to - still without reference to where xorg.conf should be).
    I sould really like to run kubuntu 11.04 on both computers (mine and hers).
    Where should I start?

xorg.conf should be placed in the same place as on most other distros, /etc/X11/xorg.conf and if it doesn't exist then you can create it and it should be used the next time you start X.

It might help if you told us what graphics card and drivers you are using.

Comment

I had a similar problem with a computer that had two video outputs, HDMI and VGA. I changed the from HDMI to VGA and it worked fine. After the install I could switch to the HDMI. Not sure why but it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
        xorg.conf should be placed in the same place as on most other distros, /etc/X11/xorg.conf and if it doesn't exist then you can create it and it should be used the next time you start X.

It might help if you told us what graphics card and drivers you are using.
        I'm installing on a Dell optiplex gx270. Onboard graphics, and whatever default drivers the live cd and install uses. How do I find these details?

Comment

Code:
          lspic | grep -i vga
          Should tell you your graphics card

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
            Code:
            lspic | grep -i vga
            Should tell you your graphics card
            sudo lspci | grep -i vga
            00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Comment

Do you have a xorg ?
              Show the output of:
              Code:
              cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
              "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

cat: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

Comment

Sorry, but my last 2 replies to requests for information were done on the wrong computer.
                  From the correct computer -

lspci: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

cat: /etc/X11/xorg.con: No such file or directory

Comment

Ok. This makes it easier.
                    Here's a solution for someone who had the same problem (since your card isn't supported in 11.04):
                    http://askubuntu.com/a/41736
                    "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

Thanks jovin.
                      I'll see if I can get apt-get dist-upgrade to work and if it fixes my problem. Should be fun with the screen "corruption" I have.

I am very thankful that the user community is able to research my problems and refer me to possible solutions. One of my all time favorite cartoons (local Seattle strip from long ago - Dipstick Duck) punch-line = "Computers do have all the answers, it's the questions that's tricky". I experience this all too often.

Comment

Working...
                      X