X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon Mobility Drivers?

Hey!
    I love Kubuntu, its my favourite distro of Linux, it always will be.
    Im only happy to do web development under Linux which is quite strange.
    But anyway, I own a Sony Vaio NW11/S/S.
    It has the following specs:
    4GB DDR 2 Ram
    ATI Mobility 4570 512Mb
    Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
    I love this machine.
    But there is one small problem with it, I cannot use Kubuntu with video drivers past 10.10. After I did a fresh install of 12.04, everything was working perfectly, so I went to the drivers tool thing (That tool that allows you to install drivers. It comes with Kubuntu out of the box. Cannot think of the name for it.) and downloaded the ATI GPU drivers, and it gave me an error, saying it could not download the drivers due to my machine being incompatible. After pressing ok, I noticed there was a enable button on the driver, so I pressed that, it gave me another error. I rebooted, and bam, the X server wouldn't start. Just gives me a black screen and that's it.
    My Sony Vaio NW11/S/S has issues with GPU drivers. Under Windows 7 for example, I can only install the drivers that come from Sony, unless I use custom drivers, which are hard to come across. Help!

Hi....

Welcome to the forums! :-)

It looks like you have a chipset that is not supported that well, from what I have seen on Google so far. The only thing I know to suggest is to try the solution offered here, even though the version of Ubuntu and the AMD drivers mentioned are a bit older.

If that doesn't work, you may need to go back to 10.10.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hey!
      Tried that, but XORG wouldn't work.

Cant load fireGL DRM library
      fglrx: No matching device section for instance found.
      Failed to load module "fglrxdrm"
      Failed to load DRM library
      PreInit failed
      SetVBEMode failed
      Screens found but none have a usable configuration
      Fatal server error:
      No screens found.
      I have tried the drivers from the drivers menu in Kubuntu. I have tried the ones from ATI, get the same damn result.
      It worked fine with 10.10. I wish It would work like it did back then.
      Thanks!

Sorry for late reply

Comment

It appears that your computer has slide out the back side of the compatibility window. The old, archived, Radeon drivers aren't recognized or supported by the newer kernels, and the newer desktops and libraries won't work with the older kernels. So, you are truly in a "catch-22" situation. Returning to your previous version (10.10?) is an option, but support for Maverick has ended as well. However, there are still a LOT of apps written for Maverick. In fact, app support at most PPAs goes back to Lucid. When Precise is added to those PPAs Lucid will probably be dropped. There is only so much space on a CD or DVD, and developers have only 24 hours in a day.

There are distros that are created specifically for older hardware. DSL, Puppy Linux, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, MEPISLite, Gentoo (which starts out "Lite" but you can make it as "heavy" as you want, or can. Be warned, Gentoo takes more skill to install and maintain than most other distros. It is a "Geek" distro.)

Regardless, for the computer you are using, unless one of the light ones can help, Maverick is probably your best bet for the next two or three years. It would be safer than switching to any version of Windows, IMO.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          It appears that your computer has slide out the back side of the compatibility window. The old, archived, Radeon drivers aren't recognized or supported by the newer kernels, and the newer desktops and libraries won't work with the older kernels. So, you are truly in a "catch-22" situation. Returning to your previous version (10.10?) is an option, but support for Maverick has ended as well. However, there are still a LOT of apps written for Maverick. In fact, app support at most PPAs goes back to Lucid. When Precise is added to those PPAs Lucid will probably be dropped. There is only so much space on a CD or DVD, and developers have only 24 hours in a day.

There are distros that are created specifically for older hardware. DSL, Puppy Linux, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, MEPISLite, Gentoo (which starts out "Lite" but you can make it as "heavy" as you want, or can. Be warned, Gentoo takes more skill to install and maintain than most other distros. It is a "Geek" distro.)

Regardless, for the computer you are using, unless one of the light ones can help, Maverick is probably your best bet for the next two or three years. It would be safer than switching to any version of Windows, IMO.

So can I use Xubuntu and install KDE over it with Radeon Drivers?
          I hope so. Only had my machine a few months. I guess thats just the way it is. Thanks allot for your help!
          Saved me allot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by JamerTheProgrammer View Post
            After I did a fresh install of 12.04, everything was working perfectly, so I went to the drivers tool thing (That tool that allows you to install drivers.
            If everything was working perfectly, why install the proprietary fglrx drivers?

Unless you have a specific reason to install fglrx, don't. The open source radeon drivers (that come with kubuntu out-of-the-box) are better than fglrx in many ways.

I haven't used fglrx in about six years on any of my radeon machines, and haven't really missed a thing.

Comment

Well I want to get the benefits of my GPU in my laptop (4570). I cannot run games under Linux properly without them.

Comment

Originally posted by JamerTheProgrammer View Post
                I cannot run games under Linux properly without them.
                I'm sure that qualifies as a "specific reason" (I don't really do gaming that much, so I'll take your word for it).

Sorry for the distraction, I took the "everything was working perfectly" literally

Comment

Working...
                X