X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No KDE desktop effects after installation

Hi, folks

I've faced problem when I couldn't activate desktop effects after Kubuntu 11.04 installation. It's even more strange for they work fine, while I've being trying Kubuntu from live-cd and they show great performance.

I'm afraid it means video driver is ok, but something is wrong with configuration. Also, I believe, it's necessary to mention my laptop has two video cards: intel and nVidia 520m. So, may be problem is due to this issue. But it's only my guess, I'm not an Xorg configuration guru

I've attached xorg.conf and Xorg logfile. Will be very grateful for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: No KDE desktop effects after installation

Originally posted by malkavian
    Also, I believe, it's necessary to mention my laptop has two video cards: intel and nVidia 520m. So, may be problem is due to this issue. But it's only my guess, I'm not an Xorg configuration guru
    This is a very important bit of detail, thanks. You have two video adapters in your computer -- an increasingly common configuration. From looking at the files you attached, Xorg.conf isn't getting set up correctly for your nVidia card. Please take a look at the Ubuntu hybrid graphics community page for information on how to configure graphics card switching. You should also add the X Updates PPA and install nvidia-current and nvidia-settings to obtain newer drivers and get your Xorg.conf configured correctly.

I'm not sure why the install behaves differently than the live CD in your specific case, although you aren't the first person to report dissimilarities between the two.

Comment

Re: No KDE desktop effects after installation

SteveRiley, thank you for your help! Information you've provided was very useful and give me an understanding what is happening. Unfortunately these recipies haven't had any effects

Anyway, I hope the situation will be better when 11.10 will be released. I've given a chanse to beta 1 and it works fine, but beta 2 has broken everything again This inspires some optimism

Comment

Working...
      X