X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Fingerprint Readers and Kubuntu Natty

Hi,

Am thinking of buying and using a USB Fingerprinting solution for my Desktop. There are couple of them in the market like Upek, IBM etc.

I just wish to know before making the investment, that what is the support for fingerprint readers in the current versions of Linux. I have found very old articles about enabling fingerprint support in Linux using BioAPI and PAM configurations.

Am pretty sure the support is way better now. Does anybody uses this solution for their Desktops (not laptops). Any brand and models of USB readers you will suggest, which will work great with Natty??

Cheers,
    Cybeh

Bump! I'd like to know to, but this thread started more than a year ago. Please advise.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Most fingerprint readers work by storing application and web site passwords in some kind of local "vault." The software detects a request for a password, raises a dialog to prompt you to swipe your finger, validates the pattern, decrypts the corresponding password, and feeds that into the application or web site user interface.

I experimented with one a few years ago and found that it mostly caused me to forget all my passwords, so logging into web sites from PCs other than my own became something of a problem! But I also hate memorizing passwords, so I'm considering something like LastPass, with which I can replicate password databases across all my devices.

Comment

Working...
      X